Is the Axe-FX just a passing fad?

InAbsentia_

Dec 31, 2009
It's just that I've noticed whenever a new gadget comes out the entire guitar playing world goes into a synchronized frenzy of praise causing the product to more or less explode by word of mouth alone.

It happened with the POD, then you'd get people saying the Boss GT-8 was the best thing ever with people like J.P. and Marty Friedman having nothing but amazing things to say about it. 'It can't get any better than this!'

I'm just wondering if the Axe-FX is an overpriced POD like device, and whether Line6 will use the same type of technology and release a dirt cheap version of something similar in the near future? Or have Fractal actually done something extraordinary with this thing?

John Petrucci is only using it for the effects though, which probably says something its amp/cabinet modeling capabilities and how it actually compares to a real mic'd up amp and cab.
I'm not convinced the Axe FX is any better than POD Farm for the saturated modern metal tones favored by members of this forum.
Modeling is cool for clean tones, and that djenty stuff (but ironically I think the best "Djent" tone ever was Chaosphere, which was tracked with real amps, cabs and mic)
but for the modern saturated metal tone stuff, nothing beats the sound of a mic-d up cab in the hands of a good tracking engineer.

I imagine pretty much every member here is in favor of real amps and cabs being mic-d up anyway.
Tried and true, and still the best.
Go to SS.org or the John Petrucci forums, where members are more into live playing and not about the intricacies of mic-ing up amps for the best results in a recorded mix and you'll get different answers.
I think the Axe FX has its use for live performance situations, because it helps to reduce onstage volume.
A good example of this was when I saw Meshuggah earlier this year.
They sounded absolutely crushing and way clearer than the other 2 bands that opened for them that used real amps. Meshuggah were just using the Axe FX direct to FOH for guitars and POD XT for bass and the sound slayed.
I think there's something about the sound of the Axe FX that really lends itself better to live performances, while a real amp is still better in the studio

John Petrucci is only using it for the effects though, which probably says something its amp/cabinet modeling capabilities and how it actually compares to a real mic'd up amp and cab.

But Petrucci is a Mesa/Boogie exclusive and always will be so it would be strange if he ever replaced his rig with a axe fx completly and ruin his relationship with MB.

I would throw away my axe fx in a dead second if I got a Mesa Boogie endorsement.

its cool for what it is, and i guess it's better than pod, so an improvement on the digital front. but still not as good as tube amp/cab/mic

I would never use afx for recording but it is great for live gigs. When u are on tour and there are always different amps cabs shity stages etc you just plug in to your afx and have the same "your own" sound every time. + don't forget IRs that you can load, it means that you can have VERY similar to your album tone just having captured the IR from your cab during recording session. That's a copletely different leage with POD.

How many people in this thread have actually USED an Axe-FX?

I checked it out yesterday. This guy was running it with a VHT poweramp and a Marshall 2x12. It sounded absolutely killer. I will be buying one I hope at the end of the year.

I would not say it's a fad. It's the next step in digital guitar gear, that is all. Those other things were not fads either - they were just made obsolete by better sounding stuff.

Now you might be willing to go further and say.. "okay... well this whole digital malarky is a fad" ... and I'd say.... well... fads don't last for decades.

It's just a different way of getting a tone you heard in your head, that is all.

How many people in this thread have actually USED an Axe-FX?

I checked it out yesterday. This guy was running it with a VHT poweramp and a Marshall 2x12. It sounded absolutely killer. I will be buying one I hope at the end of the year.

I would not say it's a fad. It's the next step in digital guitar gear, that is all. Those other things were not fads either - they were just made obsolete by better sounding stuff.

Now you might be willing to go further and say.. "okay... well this whole digital malarky is a fad" ... and I'd say.... well... fads don't last for decades.

It's just a different way of getting a tone you heard in your head, that is all.

It's not being marketed as the next step in digital gear though.

Most Axe-FX users, and to some degree, the Fractal website itself claims that the Axe-FX purportedly comes extremely close to replicating the tones from the actual analog gear. There has to be a limit to how far this can go. If we can get a piece of gear that gives us the exact tone a variety of amps and cabs gives us, why would we ever get the real deal?

What I'm saying is, people are taking the Axe-FX to be the holy grail of simulation (ie. cannot be beaten) and you have artists and users chiming in on this 'It simply can't get any better than this!' - and this is a major sales point for the Axe-FX, but the thing is the same thing was said about the POD and Boss' COSM technology only a few years ago which are now lost in the sands of time and locked out of memory.

I'm just wondering whether the inevitable will happen eventually, and people will realize the Axe-FX was overpriced and opportunistic. I'm guessing this will happen when Line 6 releases a similar product, which I can sense coming very very soon - with higher and easier functionality and a vastly lower price tag (I'd estimate it at being $700-800).

It's not being marketed as the next step in digital gear though.

Most Axe-FX users, and to some degree, the Fractal website itself claims that the Axe-FX purportedly comes extremely close to replicating the tones from the actual analog gear.

It doesn't matter how it is being marketed. What matters is what is actually true, and what it is actually capable of. I make a point of not putting too much stock in anything that isn't in the manual. The user-base is slightly different though, as that is real world usage. If the users say it does X and X, it must do X and X to some degree.

There has to be a limit to how far this can go. If we can get a piece of gear that gives us the exact tone a variety of amps and cabs gives us, why would we ever get the real deal?

There will always be a limit to anything. You cant easily change tonestacks in a real amp. You can't easily convert it to use different types of tubes, etc...

These are two things that the Axe-FX does well.

What I'm saying is, people are taking the Axe-FX to be the holy grail of simulation (ie. cannot be beaten) and you have artists and users chiming in on this 'It simply can't get any better than this!' - and this is a major sales point for the Axe-FX, but the thing is the same thing was said about the POD and Boss' COSM technology only a few years ago which are now lost in the sands of time and locked out of memory.

I don't know if those things were ever said about COSM, but even if they were.. so what? You're not making any sort of point there. People say things that later on prove to be no longer true if enough time passes.

I'm just wondering whether the inevitable will happen eventually, and people will realize the Axe-FX was overpriced and opportunistic. I'm guessing this will happen when Line 6 releases a similar product, which I can sense coming very very soon - with higher and easier functionality and a vastly lower price tag (I'd estimate it at being $700-800).

See now you're trying to apply objectivity to a subjective field. It is YOUR opinion that the Axe-FX is over-priced. But in MY opinion it isn't. The Recto Red channel and the Bogner Uberschall were the two models that blew my mind. Those two models are certainly worth the price alone.

But that's ignoring the rest of the models, all the effects, the modulation possibilities.

If you're the kind of guitarist who is plug and play... the Axe-FX wont be for you. But if you really love being a tone geek... then it will change how you think about guitar sounds.

To say the Axe-FX is a fad is to do guitar processing in general a great dis-service.

That's just my opinion.

I still haven't heard a single Axe-FX clip that would have impressed me enough to justify the price tag. It's probably a coincidence, but almost ALL the clips that have been posted here have been "djent", so it doesn't give me a very good perspective on it.

If it cost like $800, I might buy in to the hype.

I still haven't heard a single Axe-FX clip that would have impressed me enough to justify the price tag. It's probably a coincidence, but almost ALL the clips that have been posted here have been "djent", so it doesn't give me a very good perspective on it.

If it cost like $800, I might buy in to the hype.

I said the same thing you just did a few months ago. Then I heard some other kinds of demos :)

But actually using the thing in real life is so much different to hearing clips. And I'd just say approach it with an open mind... and find someone to give you a demo.

I said the same thing you just did a few months ago. Then I heard some other kinds of demos :)

But actually using the thing in real life is so much different to hearing clips. And I'd just say approach it with an open mind... and find someone to give you a demo.

Any chance you could point me towards these demos? I have seriously only heard djenty meshuggah-ripoff stuff and some random FX-wankery :/

The "real life aspect" is kinda useless to me, as I base my interest on gear purely for their recording potential. I understand it's a LOT different to touring artists, though :)

Imo is the Axe the next step in the digital world, currently it is the best "modeller", but others will follow, like all the Line 6 stuff came across years ago.

I'll stay with my Recto + 6505, but who thought of this progression when the Pod was released years ago?