is there a god? mixing help wanted..

scyther666

Jun 15, 2003
GREECE
Hello to all....been lurking around here for some time now and I have to say I am amazed by the skills of some of the people around here...
Not to bother you with any BS I'm looking for someone to tell me what am I doing wrong...
I don't have the skills most of the people around here have nor am I such a good guitar player....but I'm looking for an edge...

Could someone take the time to listen to the sample I have here....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=218749

I'm talking about the top one...
Death Certificate by Carcass...
I wanna know what am I doing wrong in the whole process...
I just can't get a punch out of anything I do!
Ok, I bet it sounds pretty miserable so far so to cut it short, I'd like some help mixing that kind of stuff....
I always end up overdoing it with eq...

For this one I've used a Jackson with them crappy ibanez infinity pickups, into a PODxt (cab/AIR sim was off), into a Behringer DI, into a behringer DEQ for cutting a bit of the pod fizz), into a Mackie Onyx Satellite, into Cubase SX3 with SIR using guitarhack's impulses...I used fredman straight and angled doubled for a total of four tracks....

Drums are andy's kick, some snare i don't remember which one, and cymbals from EZdrummer/DFH...nonexistant-in-the-mix bass is Trilogy....

Playing is a bit sloppy of course...I could try excusing myself by throwing something like "it was a one take" or "my hamster just got out of it's cage and I was anxious to find it" but I guess if you have read this far you can overlook this ...

So....is anyone willing to share...?
I'd really, really like to learn from all who can help in here...
Gimme the questions, I'll give the answers so you can give me the juice...!!

did you use a pre-processed snare? or did you take a snare sample and process it to hell? the drums do sound really midi-ish, but that's not really a huge concern.

if you constantly over-eq, my suggestion is to practice a little subtractive eq. instead of boosting a ton of frequencies, try sweeping the entire frequency spectrum and removing the frequencies that sound like shit/hurt your ear. then, once you get a clear sounding instrument, boost some frequencies.

thats what i did, and it really helped me with EQing.