Help with mixing single

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
Hello theeerre!,

At the moment i am mixing a single for my band and the only thing that is really struggling me is the snare. I am very close to buy steven slate 3.5 platinum but i was wondering: You can use it as a vst and stand alone but what if i only want to use certain samples of it like the snare? Is that possible?

Second: Does anyone here have some tips on mixing the snare.
When I listen to the snare of Shogun (trivium) for an example im blown away.

with regards,

Mendel

be shure not to make it bodyless and thin, material dependant really, but snares seem to do good with a small 200hz boost, and for crisp you could boost it pretty wide at like 10 khz or something. do not high shelf it, just adds noise. and do a high-pass at like 100hz aswell.

as far as compressors go, the smack is in the attack. you'll find it at like +- 15ms. what i do is i use Waves RComp, set the ratio to 50:1, then i drag the threshold down to find the perfect balance between smack and thrash, then i roll back the ratio to like 6-7:1 somewhere. then i bring the back-end limiter up a tad. sometimes i use a clipper on there aswell, and i've also found a cool Distressor-ish vst from Modern Plugins which i put last in the chain to give it some color and harmonic content.

reverbs are important too. i mostly use Slate-samples (Snare 3 is awesome) with Drumagog. i run two instances of drumagog, first Z1 which is the close mic, and then Z4 at a fairly low blend, it's like the room/chamber-sample so it gives like a natural sounding verb. then i have a verb in an FX channel, which feeds both the snare and the toms. i just use RoomWorks (Cubase 5) and highpass it at 200hz to get rid of low-end rumble. using a verb as a send for both snare and toms can make a drumkit sound more like a kit.

this is just what i do, but i hope it helps!

Second: Does anyone here have some tips on mixing the snare. When I listen to the snare of Shogun (trivium) for an example im blown away.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/455232-pro-tools-back-lash.html

natural_production.png

Post of the year :)

be shure not to make it bodyless and thin, material dependant really, but snares seem to do good with a small 200hz boost, and for crisp you could boost it pretty wide at like 10 khz or something. do not high shelf it, just adds noise. and do a high-pass at like 100hz aswell.

as far as compressors go, the smack is in the attack. you'll find it at like +- 15ms. what i do is i use Waves RComp, set the ratio to 50:1, then i drag the threshold down to find the perfect balance between smack and thrash, then i roll back the ratio to like 6-7:1 somewhere. then i bring the back-end limiter up a tad. sometimes i use a clipper on there aswell, and i've also found a cool Distressor-ish vst from Modern Plugins which i put last in the chain to give it some color and harmonic content.

reverbs are important too. i mostly use Slate-samples (Snare 3 is awesome) with Drumagog. i run two instances of drumagog, first Z1 which is the close mic, and then Z4 at a fairly low blend, it's like the room/chamber-sample so it gives like a natural sounding verb. then i have a verb in an FX channel, which feeds both the snare and the toms. i just use RoomWorks (Cubase 5) and highpass it at 200hz to get rid of low-end rumble. using a verb as a send for both snare and toms can make a drumkit sound more like a kit.

this is just what i do, but i hope it helps!

Thanks for the tips! Will use them!
Could you be a bit more specific on the roomworks verb ? Using plates 3 sec or something else?