One Shot / Consistent Sample

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Let's talk about One Shot / Consistent Samples. Who is using the method of having a one shot under/blended on Kicks , Snares etc. I've tried many different one shot techniques. A common one I use is to take a single decent sample from the original snare drum. I will use that as my one shot sample and then use steven slate or other multi velocity samples to replace. Just curious what people are doing.

I use it all the times. Usually blend in a nice multisampled snare/kick too. With automation it works just fine. Listen to all the famous producers think pretty much all use oneshoots from time to time

I do it all the time, too. I think of it kind of like a parallel compression channel; bring it in for fatness, consistency, etc... but don't rely on it for your main sound or it gets boring/stale. Use it as an enhancement/augmentation, not as a replacement.

I do it all the time, too. I think of it kind of like a parallel compression channel; bring it in for fatness, consistency, etc... but don't rely on it for your main sound or it gets boring/stale. Use it as an enhancement/augmentation, not as a replacement.

I was pretty much going to ask what you guys do if you want it to be more than just enhancement as you say more like replacement. Some times you only get three variations of a sample, it can sound pretty fake.

I was pretty much going to ask what you guys do if you want it to be more than just enhancement as you say more like replacement. Some times you only get three variations of a sample, it can sound pretty fake.

In that case I always use a multi-sample. The last few productions I've done have all had the original snare, a multi-sample, and a one-shot blended together/automated around one another. Same goes for kick, but either the original + 1 or more multi + one-shot for non-metal or 2+ multis and a one-shot for metal.

Oh it's totally worth mentioning that a one-shot via Trigger is still going to have velocity-based variances unless you set the velocity/dynamics knobs to remove it. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it's not. 99% of my one-shots come from a VSTi version of a D4.

Yes, if there's a good one shot sample, I'll use it any day over an okay multi-sample, but blend it in carefully. If I use it with programmed drums, I always have one or two multi-samples laying on top, so it doesn't get ridicously unrealistic.

I've been using Trigger but as I'm now working with MIDI nearly all the time I'm going to give battery a go. I've used Kontakt in the past which is good but Battery looks super simple.

Awesome thread so far. Hey Jeff could you go into a little more detail on lining up the samples, phase, Eq, levels etc. I understand that you use your ear so there are no hard rules but you must find yourself doing similar things mix to mix. Also what is it about the D4 sample you love? Is it just one sample of the Snare Hard Hit you use? Thanks everyone so far.

Awesome thread so far. Hey Jeff could you go into a little more detail on lining up the samples, phase, Eq, levels etc. I understand that you use your ear so there are no hard rules but you must find yourself doing similar things mix to mix. Also what is it about the D4 sample you love? Is it just one sample of the Snare Hard Hit you use? Thanks everyone so far.

It's really just about picking samples that sound like they belong but bring something that you need to the kit. So I search for samples based on need; sometimes I need more crack, sometimes more ring, sometimes more low end smack, etc. I process from there to bring out those qualities and fit them in with the rest of the kit, really just treating them like other mics on the recorded kit.

The D4 has a bunch. Rim Center and Picollo come to mind. For kicks I like Speed Mtl, Fusion, and Monster a lot.

Are you aligning the one shot up with the mic'd signal by hand or are you having good luck just relying on Trigger/Drumagog etc?

This is one of those D4 samples on the snare, from the early 90's.

Not the 'best' example per se but it's one of the reasons I like blending samples from the D4 on my own stuff sometimes. Would love to have that D4 plugin though, even though I have a few individual samples already.

Last edited by a moderator: