is there a trick for writing death metal lyrics?

Jun 23, 2004
Hello guys, i have one more problem ^^

I have an Instrumental and I want to write lyrics for it. For the lyrics itself I have enough ideas so that wouldn't be a very big problem, but I can't figure out in which melody to sing the lyrics.

because:
if I sing exactly to the same melody as the guitars for example, it will sound boring, stupid and just bad. And I can't figure out on what to go by when I give my lyrics a melody....

and tips?

and one extra question:
how the hell do you write such confusing but really cool textes like in flames? I mean, how can someone get even the IDEA to write the text "cloud connected" ?

In flames lyrics suck. Write to the rhythm patterns of the song. If it's death metal then there is no melody in vocals. If you can't write good lyrics chances are you can't write well in general. Just practice poetry or something...

In Flames old stuff was cool I thought, whoracle had good lyrics.

The way I write lyrics is to take in images of the world and tell the story again but try not to be obvious about it. The main purpose of my lyrics is to tell a story by putting mental images in people's heads, my lyrics have very little literal meaning, it's all about what other people find in the words. Dark Tranquillity lyrics are kinda like that, I'm not sure if Mikael Stanne does it on purpose, but I always find the only meaning I can find in his words is my own meaning. Hope that makes sense.

This is mine, it's not great, it still needs work, but perhaps it can give you an idea.

Reflections

The voices that once spoke out
Loud and long in the dark
Lapse back into drunken lethargy
and monotone, their comfort zone
[instrumental break]
The nucleus that once brought light
Has died inside and gone cold
The star of wealth is bankrupt
Bitter, cynical hatred inside

[pre-chorus] (solo on pre-chorus second time)
In this dark time
A hand on my shoulder to guide
A feeling like I'm falling
A rush I can’t describe

The light is gone but the tunnel remains

[chorus]
Sickening, Choking, Reclaiming, Revoking
Scenes Flashing, Eyes Searching, Invoking, Entrapping
Splinters of the realm of Suicide
Fallen like glass yet deathly white
Anguish and Craving, Apathy, Enslaving
Submission, Explosion, Condition, Admission
Reflections completing the whole
From nothing there’s nowhere to fall

[instrumental break]
Supernal aerial art
Star-troubled sky, breathing light
For to soar aloft once more
and die among the silent horde.

[©Alpha Crucis 27 Oct 2004]

Yeah, really nice lyrics.

If you can't write lyrics, try to remember something emotional in your life, something that made you angry or made you cry, gather your thoughts about it and write them down. If you don't like these lyrics, transform them using a poetic way. Or listen to your favourite songs an get the feeling (don't copy them).
You can write just a few words and growl constantly, while filling a growl with guitar melodies. Sometimes, when you don't know what to say, a few words are enough.