Is This Commercial Level?

Ze4th0x

A Former Somebody
Jan 6, 2011
I've been frustrated with trying to master this song, and when I compare it to any other songs to compare loudness and my track always sounds softer to me. this track I made louder, and to me sounds like it clips at some points.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7331862/mp3s/Agraceful - The Great I am (cover)mast1.mp3

Thanks for your help guys.

My mastering chain is EQ, Gclip, C1, C4, Rcomp and L2 (as a transparent limiter), and then final gclip to increase the gain.

is this a cover song? i think ive heard it somewhere before and i think it might be your guitar tone that is making you think its not loud enough because it seems pretty loud to me maybe just the mix in general..

edit: i know where i heard it, its agraceful

Too much bass in this.
Remove that last Gclip! What's the point of it really? A clipper is NOT what you should push your levels with, because it's sounds awful when it clips everything else than percussive transients. Use the L1 to gain the right loudness.

I liked it. I don't know if that's what you're going for but, on some parts, the auto-tune on the vocals is pretty obvious... (e.g., "so desperately I have been waiting for you" part)

Why do you need to make a song as loud as the others if the others sound like complete shit. Do master it softer, you'll get better results and better feedbacks about the sound of it when poeple will bring their volume up. The vocals are a bit too high and man they sound like plastic.