so, this all have been covered before, but how much do you guys squash your snares?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I posted a new mix in the mix section that has probably one of my favorite snare sounds I've been able to achieve. Problem is, I feel like it's squashed to death (maybe I just like that sound?).

I'm using to compressors on the track, one before EQ, one after.

On the one before the compressor (Waves C1), I have the threshold set at around -20, 6:1 ratio, 26ms attack, 30ms release with makeup gain to bring it to 0dB, actually sometimes over a little.

After this I have some EQ to cut some frequencies I don't like (mainly some annoying ringing in the 1200Hz area).

I then compress again using the Modern Bouncer plugin (free SSL style comp). I have the threshold on this one set at -15 with a bit slower attack and release than the rcomp, with makeup gain to bring it back to 0dB or a little over.

For me, this gets me in the neighborhood of what I *hear* on CD's I like, but man, it seems like I'm killing it.

In terms of dynamics, I don't need to do any of this, really, as our drummer hits pretty solid throughout the recordings, but I like the tone of the snare this way.

I know there are really no rules, but do you guys compress this much? I've never compressed this much before, but never been this satisfied, either.

here's the mix in question:
http://geetarguy.tripod.com/victimofmine.wav

depends how much you are shaving of the attack, which is real important. If -20 does the trick, they your ok, but you need to let that attack cut through.

Also other important areas are the fundamental. Your are probably cutting the ringing out but make sure your 2-400hz and 2-4k ranges (these can vary further still) are giving you the oomph and snap you require.

I personally think if you are replacing samples and you are having to put too much compression on your gonna just loose it. Maybe better samples?

My rule about compression is this- it compressors (pretty obvious I know) but just rememeber that - the more you put on the more your gonna throw it all away.

Setting the attack at 25-30ms keeps the initial attack intact, no doubt.

Just seems excessive to compress this much in terms of what compressing actually "does".

In terms of how it sounds, however, I like it. Thus the conundrum. I guess I'm trying to convince myself that killing the snare with this much compression is wrong, but it sounds good to me.

I prefer adding GClip instead of Comp. Compressing the snare makes it lose a lot of snap and makes it a bit muffled, while GClip retains all the good stuff while still taming the snare spikes. Using a transient plugin before GClip is also a nice trick. And finish it off with a nice parallel plate verb.

automation saturated reverb at the start of the snare sample might sound nice and have it die out quick come the end of the sample. never tried it though! just thought of it there. although maybe it sounds shit - thats why no one does it! haha

ill leave it to the more "pro's" here on the forum to do it. im more of an amateur mixer still learning!

Just seems excessive to compress this much in terms of what compressing actually "does".

In terms of how it sounds, however, I like it. Thus the conundrum. I guess I'm trying to convince myself that killing the snare with this much compression is wrong, but it sounds good to me.
It doesn't matter what it looks like if it sounds good to you. Go with your gut.
BTW, I saw your settings but I didn't see the gain reduction you were getting. Honestly your snare doesn't sound nearly as demolished as ones I regularly hear in this forum.

It doesn't matter what it looks like if it sounds good to you. Go with your gut.
BTW, I saw your settings but I didn't see the gain reduction you were getting. Honestly your snare doesn't sound nearly as demolished as ones I regularly hear in this forum.

Haha, that makes me feel better. Peaks are sitting around 0 to -3dB's prior to compression, and the threshold is pretty low...C1 looks like it has makeup gain on it, so the values I see probably aren't accurate.

Tell that to LOG.

myself i compress and clip. Compression for tone (then eq some snap back in) then gclip to help it work better in the mix. Verb is a must, freeverb is fine if it's used carefully

Then new daylight dies snare sound is massive! But then jens uses some good samples and his approach seems to be a less is more. I have a firm belief that compression is a small part of percussive treatment. Reverb/reverse reverb all play a part in bringing the snare to that place that can define the size of the whole kit.

I still feel that the right EQ tweaks will get your snare more prominent than compression. EQ can be magic if you find those subtle sweet spots.

Then new daylight dies snare sound is massive! But then jens uses some good samples and his approach seems to be a less is more. I have a firm belief that compression is a small part of percussive treatment. Reverb/reverse reverb all play a part in bringing the snare to that place that can define the size of the whole kit.

I still feel that the right EQ tweaks will get your snare more prominent than compression. EQ can be magic if you find those subtle sweet spots.

Good call, I like me some squash but the snare on some albums these days is just too much. I still like it to sound like a snare drum not a combination gunshot / punch in the stomach with every hit. :lol: