Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question"

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
Has anyone read this? I thought I'd bring it up as lately I've noticed a few topics posted here that this short story deals with in some regards. It's a Science Fiction story written in the 50's so some things are a bit weird, but it's an awesome concept, and short enough of a story that it could be read in a single sitting.

It's basically about man creating a super-computer, and generations pass and the computer evolves into a more and more complicated machine, and as the human race overpopulates and moves beyond earth, they discover a recipe for immortality, and begin to colonize the entire universe, galaxy by galaxy. Each generation that the story visits asks the computer the same basic question, basically if there is a way to reverse the entropy of the universe to keep all of the stars from burning out, so that universe could last forever. Each time the computer says it doesnt have enough data for a meaningful answer, until the very end of the story, which has almost a religious overtone, but still makes you think all the same. One of the best "what if" stories I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

I found it online here:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~mlindsey/asimov/question.htm

An edit to the religious overtone comment above: Atheists may find the ending a bit too much of a nod toward religion, while religious people may find the ending blasphemous. You decide.

lol I don't think it too religious. that's actually a really nice ending the story you summarised (and thank you for that summary, I skipped straight to the end)

quite an amusing notion really, we escape our mortal limitations but are still too biological to survive the winter of the universe and so our last hope is a creation which will seek tirelessly to recreate us. personally I find that a better snub to religion than a nod.

Yeah, seems a bit of a swipe at religions at the end to me :)
Pretty similar to the bit of fiction Anvil posted in the ET thread - http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal
but is a little broader in scope. Didn't think this one was a particularly interesting read aside from the fundamental idea and resolution, which were good :)

I thought it was brilliant, quite frankly. I've always been a sucker for grand ideas and sci-fi though ;)