Isis - Wavering Radiant

I really enjoyed In the Absence of Truth right away, but the new one hasn't quite clicked with me. It took me a while to get into Isis initially, but they're one of my favorite bands now so I will not give up on the new album!

Definitely one of my best for 2009. The album would be a best of year in many years but, that being said, this year isn't looking all that exciting. Porcupine Tree may release theirs towards the end but after Fear of a Blank Planet just being ok, I have reason to be skeptical. Morbid Angel is always fun but never downright spectacular. Fun little things like Novembers Doom, etc. Really seems like a bit of a gap year, with such great stuff coming out in 2008. Another Cynic album would be awesome if it ever happens (though admittedly Focus is still their best), Opeth...well they're bound to put out some good stuff, but we'll have to see as to whether or not the next release is fantastic or just good. Tool promised a new album some day but I think they're too busy with their side projects (for lack of a better word regarding hobbies like Maynard's wine) atm. If DSO puts out another full length (I assume they will), that's almost a definite best of.

They sure are, this will definitely be in my top 10 of 09. Much prefer it to ITAOT, which I never liked much, and is almost challenging Panopticon as my favourite Isis album. Great stuff. Can't wait to receive the vinyl edition which i've preordered.