Isis?

Molag Bal

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2008
Best album to buy from them? i seek opinions and justification :D

ive only heard a bit of wavering radiant, how does this compare?

thanks prophet, btw is the red sea any good?

btw i enjoy songs like the ghost key from the wavering radiant, i really enjoy playing the pentatonic licks at the start (they sound pentatonic, not 100% sure)

i mean i like the start of ghost key with the weird synth sounds, before the vocals come in. do they have alot of that on previous albums or is it just this individual song?

can anyone recommend similar bands?

Red Sea is heaaaavy, but thats about it. Their later stuff is kind of what you hear on Wavering Radiant, melodic yet brutal. Oceanic blends them the best, but Wavering Radiant really pushed that style in to a new direction. I personally love WR, but some fans thought it was a disappointment (for whatever reason). Ghost Key is my favorite off WR too, the style of that song is similar to In The Absence of Truth (which was more mellow, but experimental).

If you like ISIS you might like Neurosis (pretty much the founders of this type of music), Rosetta (a little heavier than ISIS) , Pelican (more on the post rock side, all instrumental), and a new band called Mare (they have one EP, but its very good if you like any of these artists I mentioned).

Hope that helps you out a bit.

thanks prophet!

i have listened to it all yet but i like the soft, synthy sort of parts on ghost key, so ill probably go with in the absence of truth next, and then try oceanic

ive heard of of the band pelican so ill probably give them a try too, since you said they were more mellow-focused

Yeah, if you like the mellow/experimental part of ISIS you'll love In The Absence of Truth. Check out the new Pelican EP (Ephermeral EP), its nice and short but gets straight to the point. If you like that then grab the classic The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon...

Top thread,
for the last three or four months ive been pondering checking these guys out,
But found myself a bit stumped by the what where's and why's of checking out a new band.

I've been told that In The Absence Of Truth is a great place to start with - I did, and I love that album. I've yet to check out their earlier stuff though.

I concur - In The Absence of Truth is a great place to start. I too started with that one a couple of years ago, and have become addicted to Isis. This one is probably least heavy and most melodic - but it's still plenty heavy at times. Anyway, I believe that if you start with that one, some of the melodic elements that they've used since and including Celestial are most pronounced there. Then, when you acquire the rest, it may be easier for you to pick them out of the heavy parts and enjoy them.

In the Absence of Truth and Panopticon are my favorites, I am still digesting Wavering Radiant, as it takes way longer than two months to get to know an Isis record (I do like it a lot), and Oceanic and Celestial are both great, but heavier, although Wavering Radiant is strangely heavy at times.

I do not own their earlier records - I tried listening to the Red Sea, and it was really heavy, but without the nuances that made ISIS great later on, in my opinion, of course. So I ended up with a headache. :)

Good luck!!!

Mare (they have one EP, but its very good if you like any of these artists I mentioned).

If you're talking of the Mare I think you are.. They're neither new, nor are they together anymore.. Unless I've missed a reunion or something.

**just found this on a live video of theirs

REUNION SHOW!!!
Saturday June 20, 2009
Rock The Coliseum Festival
Coliseum Stage (Mississauga City Hall) Mississauga, Ontario

But yes, the Mare EP is brilliant.

Yeah.. If you're liking Wavering Radiant.. Try anything from Oceanic onwards.. Not necessarily as synth heavy, but all beautiful.

Neurosis are absolutely amazing.. So yeah.. I'd say start with 'The Eye Of Every Storm' for them. And I haven't seen Cult Of Luna mentioned.. Get everything of theirs, but don't worry about their eponymous debut too much. Try starting with 'Eternal Kingdom'.. Not necessarily their best, but working backwards from there wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Celestial isn't that badass.

Also, um...fuck..I delayed getting into Neurosis for long enough. Would others agree with opeth_353 about where to start?

The Eye of Every Storm is easily their most cohesive effort. I would grab that first, give it some time to sink in, then try out Times of Grace and their latest Given to the Rising.

If you're talking of the Mare I think you are.. They're neither new, nor are they together anymore.. Unless I've missed a reunion or something.

Yeah, my bad, they aren't very new, but there is a reunion coming up. And yeah, I highly recommend the EP to any fans of sludge.

And I haven't seen Cult Of Luna mentioned.. Get everything of theirs, but don't worry about their eponymous debut too much. Try starting with 'Eternal Kingdom'.. Not necessarily their best, but working backwards from there wouldn't hurt.

I could never get in to Cult of Luna which is why I decided not to mention them, but they do have some good work. I think they are a little too boring and not doing anything new which is why I could never really like them. But yeah, I guess they are worth checking in to if you like the genre, and Eternal Kingdom is probably their best.

Also a couple bands that are a little less sludge and a little more metal check out one of my favorite metal releases of the year Disappearer - The Clearing (http://www.myspace.com/disappearerus), and a similar band Doomriders (lead by the bassist from Converge) (http://www.myspace.com/doomriders).

Also, um...fuck..I delayed getting into Neurosis for long enough. Would others agree with opeth_353 about where to start?

My personal favourite is probably A Sun That Never Sets, but The Eye Of Every Storm is a good one to start with.. Probably my 2nd favourite of theirs. Through Silver In Blood, Given To The Rising and Times Of Grace are all bloody lovely too.

And I'd say I prefer the way Cult Of Luna songs develop over Isis songs.. Especially on Somewhere Along The Highway and Salvation. Basically.. If you like Isis.. Neurosis and Cult Of Luna are well worth checking out.

Also.. Get Callisto's 'Noir' immediately.. Definitely not the most original of albums, but it's without a doubt one of the best written 'post metal' albums I've ever heard. An album with such great.. 'Feeling'. Tossy way to put it, but.. Can't think of a better way. The synths are beautifully done.. Very often they'll have these lovely subtle touches.

Last edited by a moderator: