Isolation Cabinets anyone?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
So I've been looking into making an ISO cab to record guitars with. I really want to record my tube amp late at night but I'm always stuck with PODfarm due to neighbors and family sleeping upstairs.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share with me?, is it much different than mic'ing a real cab? And what are the up and downs?

I know I can buy one but I feel that it would be much cheaper to build it myself, that way I can throw a V30 in it.

My advice is to do what you can to properly record your tube amp loud during the day time, at least if it's metal you are recording. Amp simulations are fucking gay. Honestly how long do you have to record for? Literally if you just throw a mic there and hit record, it should sound better than an ampsim, and it shouldn't take more than 10 min. per song. Just call your neighbors and let them know it's going to be loud for 1/2 hour. This is good advice.

I used to have an AxeTrak and I could not get a good sound out of it for the life of me. I tried my Orange Tiny Terror, Ampeg V4, Sovtek MIG 50 and many others through it... the boxy sound was impossible to get rid of. The only listenable sound I got was a clean sound with the mids at 0...

My advice is to do what you can to properly record your tube amp loud during the day time, at least if it's metal you are recording. Amp simulations are fucking gay. Honestly how long do you have to record for? Literally if you just throw a mic there and hit record, it should sound better than an ampsim, and it shouldn't take more than 10 min. per song. Just call your neighbors and let them know it's going to be loud for 1/2 hour. This is good advice.

Dunno if you were referring to me, but I never said ampsim, I said impulse (as in, run a tube preamp into ;))

What you need to do is build a gigantic box that is acoustically decoupled from the floor and line it with rockwool insulation that is covered in fabric. Design it so it is large enough for your speaker cabinet of choice. Make sure there is twice as much volume left over inside than is taken up by the cabinet you put in it.

-Greg