Isolation/Tracking Headphones

Rogueleader

Bringer Of Rain
Oct 21, 2009
I was wondering what are the most efficient (most db reduced) sound isolation/tracking (I'm not quite sure if that's the correct term, but that's what I've heard used, if there is another term please enlighten me) that are reasonably priced around $100.

My recording setup is far from ideal and I can't really hear anything from my sennheiser 202 (cheap $20 phones) when my mesa cab is like four feet away from me. I'd like to hear what monitor what my sm57 is picking up without hearing the room sound of the cab or raping my hearing. Will my problem be fixed by getting something like the vic firth or ex-29 isolation phones? I've read they reduce up to about 30db. Would this be effective in my situation? I'm looking at the vic firth, sennheiser hd280 , and the ex-29 is there something else of better quality in the price range?

Apologies if there are already threads addressing this. I searched and found two but they mainly only addressed a specific model.

Garrett

They help ya, and will protect your hearing. But you'll never get rid of the low end room sound in the same room as the cab. Figure a mic'd cab turned up loud is around 100db and they cut 30db, so you'll still hear 70db.

EX29's are pretty good for isolation, but not the best sounding headphones in the world.

Best to keep the amp level low when you're doing this though, as no set of headphones will block out a blaring cab.

the hd280s will not block much noise. Nice cans though.

The other 2 work quite well though.

I'm searching for noise cancelling earbuds & there are tons of options. I havent made up my mind yet, but it may be something else for you to consider.

how about some decent In-Ears (maybe noise canceling) and stick some cheap 30db red. ear muffs over them.

That way you get to use them for general listening as well, instead of just tracking with the big clunkers.

the hd280s will not block much noise. Nice cans though.

The other 2 work quite well though.

I'm searching for noise cancelling earbuds & there are tons of options. I havent made up my mind yet, but it may be something else for you to consider.

That was also what I thought about the hd280s, but the description says they block 30db. And if they are also regarded as monitoring headphones I'd gladly pick them over the ex-29s and vic firths, both of which I hear don't sound too great.

These two threads would make it seem that some people here also think the hd280s are atleast as effective as the firth's or ex-29s.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/437963-extreme-iso-headphones.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...esier-hd280-vs-extreme-isolation-ex-29-a.html

If there are any other threads about this topic I'd appreciate if someone could point me to them.

I've had the Sennheiser HD280s for several years now, great headphones. They've performed admirably for:

1) Vocal recording, no bleed at all into the mic even with a quite loud mix
2) Guitar recording in the same room as the cab
3) Drum recording
4) Live, drummer used it to follow the click track

I even use them sometimes when playing drums if I've forgotten my ear plugs and want to preserve my hearing.

The hd280s are great headphones dont get me wrong...but I dont think they isolate as well as the other 2 on your list. Heck...I've even mixed a song on the hd280s with pretty good results. I would use them for tracking anything except for drums. They just dont reduce the noise enough for me unless I crank them up insanely loud...which is horrible for my ears.

heck, if it were me, I would get the hd280s & one pair of the others. Just buy used & it shouldnt break the bank.