ISRC Codes

yarrick19

Oct 22, 2005
Idaho
Is anyone on here an ISRC code manager? I am in need of 4 ISRC codes ASAP. Let me know if you can help!

Thanks,
Paul

I get mine and tell my clients to get them from CDbaby or Tunecore.

Then they handle all the digital distro for you as well. After you sign up and pay, they will give you the ISRC codes. Then I put them on the master CD's and give them ISRC encoded MP3's. Then they can send in the CD or upload the wav's on their own.

Do any of you, as recording engineers, supply your clients with ISRC codes?

That is what I was going to try to do here, but it appears the "recording rights owner" (the band, I assume, as no label is involved) is generally the one who registers with the RIAA and supplies the ISRC codes. As the recording engineer, it appears that I'd have to become a "Hybrid/Studio ISRC Manager" in order to do this. It also looks like it involves an annual fee of some sort. :-(

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it?

I get mine and tell my clients to get them from CDbaby or Tunecore.

Then they handle all the digital distro for you as well. After you sign up and pay, they will give you the ISRC codes. Then I put them on the master CD's and give them ISRC encoded MP3's. Then they can send in the CD or upload the wav's on their own.

I know how Tunecore works, but I still have a few questions and I was hoping maybe some sneap forumers can help me:
Obviously the ISRC codes that Tunecore provides are on the audio files that will appear on iTunes/Amazon/etc thanks to Tunecore,
but if you master a cd yourself, how do you put the ISRC code on there?

And if you want your CD's to be pressed through Tunecore, will those ISRC codes be on those CD's?

by the way, did anyone already choose the Tunecore CD pressings? I'm considering pressing a few EP's through them and shipping them back to Belgium and right now that seems the most affordable option.
It's a low amount ('cause it's a limited pressing) so that's why most Cd pressers might be more expensive but I have to say the deal seems sweet.
But I wonder if there's a downside on it somewhere?

Do any of you, as recording engineers, supply your clients with ISRC codes?

That is what I was going to try to do here, but it appears the "recording rights owner" (the band, I assume, as no label is involved) is generally the one who registers with the RIAA and supplies the ISRC codes. As the recording engineer, it appears that I'd have to become a "Hybrid/Studio ISRC Manager" in order to do this. It also looks like it involves an annual fee of some sort. :-(

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it?

Around here the artist gets a producer code, and then applies the ISRC codes with running numbers to the songs. No way you can "deal" ISRC codes to someone.

I know how Tunecore works, but I still have a few questions and I was hoping maybe some sneap forumers can help me:
Obviously the ISRC codes that Tunecore provides are on the audio files that will appear on iTunes/Amazon/etc thanks to Tunecore,
but if you master a cd yourself, how do you put the ISRC code on there?

And if you want your CD's to be pressed through Tunecore, will those ISRC codes be on those CD's?

by the way, did anyone already choose the Tunecore CD pressings? I'm considering pressing a few EP's through them and shipping them back to Belgium and right now that seems the most affordable option.
It's a low amount ('cause it's a limited pressing) so that's why most Cd pressers might be more expensive but I have to say the deal seems sweet.
But I wonder if there's a downside on it somewhere?

Your burning software will have to put the ISRC codes on the CD. I use Wavelab, but I think CD Architect does it too. Remember mastering is beyond the audio side, it is also getting the CD Layout ready for pressing. Well pre-mastering, I guess mastering technically is actually making the glass master.

Unfortunately I don't know of an off the shelf or free CD burning software that embeds the ISRC and gives cut sheets.

As far as TuneCore "pressings" I have no idea. I would assume that they do, but who knows. CDBaby typically looks like the better deal if you get CD's pressed, TuneCore if you don't. I think I would personally like to have CD's in hand that look the way I want them to before trusting a blind pressing.

Lots of cheap places to get short runs done. Nationwidedisc, diskmakers, diskfaktory, oasis, copycats, etc. They will be burned discs, but fine for small bands.