Issue 1 - June 6, 2001

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Iced Earth - 'Dragon's Child': The Horror Show Countdown continues, and many including myself have already received the album. This song is one of the less immediately impressive on the album, but does feature one of the best guitar solos on it. Originally entitled Creature. For those still without a copy, available at http://www.electricbasement.com

Nevermore - 'All The Cowards Hide': This is a superb emotional track left over from the Dreaming Neon Black sessions. It can be found in two releases: the limited edition import Dead Heart and the just released import Believe In Nothing mini-CD, which also includes an edit, their cover of 'Love Bites', and a better candidate for a single in 'Sounds Of Silence'.

Ice Age - 'The Lhasa Road (No Surrender)': One of several instances this year where a band has come out with a great sophomore effort after a debut that left little impression on me. This track features many great tempo changes and a catchy, repetitive chorus phrase.

Pain of Salvation - 'Handful Of Nothing', 'Inside': This highly praised Swedish progressive act, known for their dramatic songs and unique aesthetic, has finally captured my attention after a long adjustment period. Here are two songs from what I feel is the best of their three albums, One Hour By The Concrete Lake. The latter has a great unconventional drum track.

Shadow Gallery - 'Cliffhanger': No, I didn't forget anything…having bought Carved In Stone after hearing the sequel that opens Legacy, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the same structure, harmonies, and great instrumental work. I still like the second one more, though.

Within Temptation - 'The Promise': An excellent track from this female-fronted band, who despite having dropped the male vocals on their latest release, still retains a very somber atmosphere. Available at http://www.bestofmetal.net

Zero Hour - 'Reflections': A case of irony at work. The Towers Of Avarice is an extraordinarily technical album with moments of strong heaviness, yet it is this song, consisting of nothing but a single guitar line and impassioned
vocals that is among the most stirring moments on the album.

Ark - 'Center Avenue': I just ordered their debut in addition to Burn The Sun and eagerly await them. This track features their gift for unusual time signatures and features some excellent fills by ex-Conception guitarist Tore Ostby. Available at their official site.

Conception - 'Under A Mourning Star', 'Some Wounds': I might as well include this underrated defunct prog-metal act, especially for those who are already familiar with Ark and Kamelot. These are two superb songs from the best of their four albums, In Your Multitude.

Enchant - 'The Cross', 'In The Dark': By now you're probably used to hearing me write in praise of this band's latest album. These songs are from Break, the immediate predecessor of Juggling…, and are just as captivating as the majority of that album.

Rage - 'Leave It All Behind', 'I'm Crucified': This veteran German power metal act has returned to their more familiar sound on Welcome To The Other Side after some experimentation with symphonic elements. These tracks feature a mix of both eras of the band…

Tristania - 'Wasteland Caress', 'Pale Enchantress': After hearing many recommendations for this doom-metal act, I decided to give them a listen and I'm not disappointed. They incorporate symphonic elements and feature both an ethereal female vocalist and more guttural vocals from departed mastermind Morten Veland.

Onward - 'The Last Sunset', 'Onward': Evermoving is an excellent debut album for this power metal band. Both of these songs feature great choruses and many displays of guitarist Toby Knapp's credible skills. Second song available at their official site.

Angel Dust - 'Same Eyes': Enlighten The Darkness was one of my favorite albums of last year, and they recently finished their surprise opening slot on the Nevermore/Opeth tour to generally positive reviews. This was originally an Internet-only bonus track, available at their official site. Be sure to also hear ETD's anthemic leadoff track, 'Let Me Live', while you're there.

Porcupine Tree: 'Stranger By The Minute', 'Slave Called Shiver': Encouraged by these songs and Steven Wilson's excellent contribution to Blackwater Park (in addition to Bleak, he also played piano on 'The Leper Affinity' and 'Dirge
For November'), I ordered their album Stupid Dream, which has received some Pink Floyd comparisons. Second song available at http://www.colorsofsound.com

Falconer: 'Mindtraveller', 'Quest For The Crown': Finally picked up this power metal band's highly regarded debut. While I'm not as taken with it as some reviewers, I feel it is a very well-written and performed album, and free of clichés. The former song features a highly memorable chorus and excellent vocals, while the latter contains some great instrumentation. First song available at http://www.bestofmetal.net

Vintersorg: 'The Enigmatic Spirit', 'Astral And Arcane': Part of my continuing black metal education, this band definitely falls under the more atmospheric side of the genre, even featuring more clean vocals than growls, although the latter song does include some typically black metal elements.