Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL'S SONGS TO WATCH
Ladies Night On Ultimate Metal
Written July 14, 2002

Greetings, devoted readers! Lots of female fronted bands this week. I enjoyed the spontaneity of the last issue’s writing process, and will try to be a bit less rigid in my writing from now on. Great to see that the loss of Audiogalaxy has not crippled my ability to hear new music…

Agalloch –The Hawthorne Passage, And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth: The End has another brilliant album on its hands with The Mantle. The album goes in a different direction than Pale Folklore, with pained clean vocals and despaired acoustic guitars, at times reminiscent of Opeth and Anathema but definitely original, as evidenced in the latter track, available at www.theendrecords.com. Former track is a stunning eleven-minute instrumental, ethereal in nature and with some awe-inspiring guitar playing.

Alas – Loss Of A Life, Absolute Purity: One of last year’s more pleasant surprises and unlikely collaborations, and a great album of orchestrated female-fronted metal. Great chorus on the former track.

All That I Bleed - I Confess, Dying To Remember: Unsigned band brought to my attention through the good people in the Seismic Radio IRC channel, including members of the band, which plays progressive metal that is both heavy and technical, as witnessed on the lengthy latter track. Check out their official site for more info.

Amaran - Faith Healer, Little Victory: One of the things I hear about bands that have frontwomen is that they aren’t metal enough. Not true of this band, which offers up some blistering riffs on both tracks, although the latter adds some clean guitar intervals. The vocalist has a commanding presence. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Arabesque - Instant Daydream, Naked: One of the first times that I’ve heard a distinctly progressive metal band (with a heavy amount of technicality, their bass player is all over the place) employ a female vocalist, but here it works to great effect. Definitely a band to watch, check out their site at www.arabesque-site.com (warning: opens a full screen).

Arch Enemy - Dark Of The Sun, Enemy Within: Angela has to be one of the harshest female vocalists I’ve heard, how does it come out of that body? I had mentioned Burning Bridges as this band’s essential album in my UM analysis, but now I would like to officially amend that position to Stigmata, as tracks like the latter one are a great showcase for Chris Amott’s talents.

Brave - Trapped Inside, Waiting All This Time: Dark Symphonies’ winning streak continues with this band’s latest Searching For The Sun, which contains the melodic sensibilities of their Dark Waters ep while adding a more metallic edge, evident in the verses and solo on the latter, featuring a tremendous performance from Michelle Loose. Latter track has a memorable extended outro.

Djam Karet - Alone With The River Man, All Clear: Instrumental progressive rock that runs a variety of styles, ranging from abrasive and intensive tracks to more ambient and psychedelic excursions. Both of these tracks from New Dark Age head towards the latter, and are an adequate showcase for Gayle Ellett’s talents. Many songs on www.mp3.com, new album coming soon.

Einherjer - Crimson Rain, Aurora Borealis: Viking metal has never really fully appealed to me, although this band is often considered one of the best examples of the genre. Judging from the guitar runs in the former track from Norwegian Native Art, I’ll have to agree.

Everon - Driven, Juliet: German progressive rock act who continues to improve with each release, and these tracks from Bridge (one of two new albums from them this year) continue the pattern. The band strikes a comfortable balance between the metallic and prog influences. Latter track, available at www.metalexpress.no, is a powerful ballad with an intriguing lyrical variation on the tired tale…

Timo Kotipelto - Chosen By Ra, Vizier: OK, I’ll be honest with you, the only reason why this is here is so I can warn you against it, that is those who haven’t realized that Stratovarius sucks yet. Not as abominable as the other Timo’s solo album, but this is lame power metal to be sure.

Limbonic Art – Moon In The Scorpio, The Black Hearts Nirvana: Black metal act that often receives comparisons to Emperor, although their songs are usually longer and more keyboard heavy. Maybe its because one of their members is in Zyklon. Latter track is definitely among the more epic BM tracks I’ve heard…

Mind's Eye - The Shape Of Salvation, Your World: Calling your album A Work Of Art is just asking for it, an extreme act of hubris even by prog standards. The music however does stand out, being thoughtful in nature and having some elegant harmonies. The band can also rock out when they want, as evidenced by the former track.

Nightwish - End Of All Hope, Slaying The Dreamer: The verdict is in: Century Child is a disappointment, despite having some good songs. The latter track comes off to me as an inferior version of Wishmaster’s title track, relying on a too familiar chorus. Latter track does make some success out of attempting a heavier approach and Tarja as always handles herself well, but Marco just ruins the whole thing…

Nile - To Dream Of Ur, Defiling The Gates Of Ishtar: The tomb plundering death metallers return in the near future with In Their Darkened Shrines. I’m still not completely sold on these guys, but its hard to deny their way around an insanely heavy riff…

Oxiplegatz - Sidereal Journey: File this one next to Green Carnation, as it is a an album-length composition (although divided into separate unnamed tracks) by Alf Svensson, of At The Gates’ pre-Slaughter lineup. Avant garde in every sense of the word. Thanks to Jim Raggi for bringing this to my attention.

Portal - Karma's Plight, Cosmos: Not to be confused with the now legendary pre-Cynic demos, this is an unsigned (to the best of my knowledge) band playing progressive rock bordering on metal, with a cosmic feel to it.

Primordial - Fallen To Ruin, Sons Of The Morrigan: Irish doom act who received much praise for their album Spirit The Earth Aflame. Their latest Storm Before Calm follows in that direction, as evidenced by the lengthy former track. Latter closing track is spare and haunting…

Secret Sphere – Lady Of Silence, Rain: Rumors that this Italian power/prog act were heading in a more glam direction were somewhat exaggerated, as the latter demo from their upcoming album is less proggy but would still fit comfortably on last year’s excellent A Time Never Come, from which the former ballad hails, available at their official site.

Septic Flesh - Telescope, Little Music Box: Death metal with a more experimental bent, check out www.666metal.com for more information, their webmaster is a big fan. Very interesting stuff…

Spaced Out - The Lost Train, Trophallaxie: Instrumental progressive rock from Montreal that made a big impression on attendees of last month’s Nearfest. Fans of both instrumental prog and fusion (and of course space rock, given their name) should check this out, some samples at www.mp3.com

Strapping Young Lad - AAA, All Hail The New Flesh: Devin Townsend’s outlet for pure aggression, City has become a noise-rock classic in a short while…although hints of his later genius do show up in places.

Stygma IV - Earth Children, Calculation Towers: Aggressive power metal band from Austria with a long history (they’ve had at least three different names) and quite a few albums, their latest being the first to get good distribution. Latter track, which I read in one review relates to 9/11, has a killer chorus.

Suidakra - Darkane Times, The One Piece Puzzle: A band attempting a Skyclad cover? Strange indeed, but this one should please fans of Martin Walkyier and company. Their own material seems impressive enough, the title track having a nice build and sounding nothing like the third-rate melodic death band in its title J

Superior - Reach For Reign, Terror Fantasy: German progressive metal who have rebounded from the intriguing but inconsistent Younique with the concept album Ultima Ratio, one of this year’s more underrated albums. Both of these tracks have some great riffs and commanding choruses. Nice keyboard layering on the latter, which also brings up vestiges of 9/11…

Suspiria - I Am Pain, Petrified: I haven’t done my research, as this black metal project has some notable names in it, but I can’t remember them. The music sounds really good, however. Latter track available at www.metalexpress.no

Geoff Tate - Off The TV, A Passenger: Although nobody in their right mind was expecting a metal album, let alone a return to Mindcrime-level glories, his solo effort has been met with predictably negative reviews expected of a mainstream courting effort. The latter track is indeed terrible, but the latter does have some nice guitar in it and soulful vocals, and wouldn’t be out of place on Promised Land, maybe…

Mike Terrana - Press One For English, Shadows Of The Past: Normally I would not recommend an instrumental solo album credited to a drummer, even a well-regarded and well-traveled one, but these are two pleasant jazzy pieces, and the playing is quite good.

Thus ends this chapter. Now which one shall I post first?