ITB versus ZED-R16 (mp3s)

Received mine yesterday, so stoked! EQ is super sensitive. Will record drums tomorrow and try to mix something trough it today. But it sure as hell that my cabling just got so much easier. Now I'm only use compressors (160s and RNC) in inserts and will route my multicore to API 3124+ and RNP then to line-ins of ZED. Now, I'm off to build my desk...:hotjump:
IMG_0153.JPG

Post them clips!

As soon as i have read enough and am 100% sure this is the mixer i need, im buying as well.
Looks and sounds great!

I'm still fiddling around with this board, very nice board indeed! BUT I'm having troubles with Logic, that stupid DAW just wan't route anything to outputs 1 and 2 without it being sent to stereo outputs (that are 17-18 on ZED) at the same time! WTF, Apple? As I've gathered from bunch of places, this problem is well known, but those bastards just won't fix it! Basically, when I send something trough output 1 or 2 I get it in my left or right monitor, literally making those channels (and their sweet EQs) fucking useless while mixing. Bummer. And I've noticed an erratic behavior of Logic's I/O in saved projects, making me re-assign my busses to their outputs, even though they WERE assigned in the first place!

I think all this stuff is gonna make me finally switch to Pro Tools, but I don't really have $700 to spend freely right now...

I'm still fiddling around with this board, very nice board indeed! BUT I'm having troubles with Logic, that stupid DAW just wan't route anything to outputs 1 and 2 without it being sent to stereo outputs (that are 17-18 on ZED) at the same time! WTF, Apple? As I've gathered from bunch of places, this problem is well known, but those bastards just won't fix it! Basically, when I send something trough output 1 or 2 I get it in my left or right monitor, literally making those channels (and their sweet EQs) fucking useless while mixing. Bummer. And I've noticed an erratic behavior of Logic's I/O in saved projects, making me re-assign my busses to their outputs, even though they WERE assigned in the first place!

I think all this stuff is gonna make me finally switch to Pro Tools, but I don't really have $700 to spend freely right now...

That's a pisser. I don't use the firewire driver so have not run into this.
Have you tried reassigning the stereo output to 17-18 in audio preferences?
Audio%20prefs.png

Yeah, that's my setup, with stereo outputs set on 17-18, but anyway, if I use I/O plug-in on some track and route it on and from channel 1, I'll still get it in my left monitor too. I've even tried to make sense of Environment window, which is supposed to help us route bunch of studio stuff together, but no, the moment something is even barely touches "Stereo Output" it goes to channels 1-2 too. Oh well... I'l just start saving for Pro Tools, so I can track in Logic and mix in PT, at least while I learn to use PT.

I plan to use my ECHO 12-channel interface to route 8 more outs from fx busses to stereo inputs on ZED, that way I can mix almost fully OTB. But I guess I need a wordclock for that. By the way, I love the way how I can route my kick, snare and overheads to ZED's EQs and then sum them in Logic and send drum buss to ZED for outboard compression and mixing. Latency is not a problem! Nice!

Oh, and I totally forgot to warn potential ZED buyers! BEWARE: This board will make you G.A.S. for outboard equipment so hard, that you'll seriously consider selling your house and kidney just to get MOAR compressors, EQs and FX units. Duuuude, OTB feels so goooood :devil:

Word!

I've just ordered a DIY 51x rack and I know I will have to fill it with something too :/

Last minute cancellation today so I did the ITB and Zed sums.
The Zed summed is kit bus, bass, gtr bus, vox bus and fx to separate stereo channel pairs with faders at zero and no eq.
I would normally use far more outputs and separate the kit but there were fx on the drum bus in the original mix.
I normalized both files to 0dbfs with no other processing.
ITB
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/CMD ITB.mp3
Zed sum
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/CMD ZED SUM.mp3

These files cancel out perfectly in a null-test within REAPER. Are you sure they're not the same file?

Hi Mickrich,

I currently own an RME Fireface 800 and was looking at buying an Audient ASP008 to add 8 pres through ADAT. The Zed R16 looks interesting as well. I already own a MCU Pro.

I enjoy the flexible routing and dependable drivers of the FF800. Would it be a reasonable solution to run the ZED R16 into the FF800 through ADAT while using the Firewire drivers of the RME? It seems that running 16 channels of ADAt from the ZED can only be done up to 48 Khz, is that correct? At what resolution are you recording in your studio? (44.1 24 bit?)

Thanks.

Love these mix examples using the ZED R16. I'm upgrading my studio to one of these. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or so. So excited! Rock on !!!

:headbang: