ITDD solo question

Redrinkarnation

New Metal Member
Feb 27, 2007
Hi folks!

In the last 6 bars of the "In the Dragon's Den" solo there are a pentatonic pattern combined with a major arpeggio, repeated at three different positions. Are those arpeggios supposed to be sweeped or alt picked if you're about to it the same way as mr Romeo? Guess I'm gonna learn it both ways, but I'm curious :Smokin:

Thanks!

:lol:

It's probably done with his legato tapping technique, although I honestly have no idea. The first Symphony X song I heard was Inferno and I thought the main solo was sweeped, so what do I know?!

I'd alt pick the whole thing. Romeo likes to do it a lot, like in the intro of Smoke & Mirrors and so on.

This his how I play it, I've seen a couple of other tablatures with different arpeggio pattern, but I guess this is pretty much spot on. I was too lazy to write all the three patterns (they are identical after all.)
Code:
D||-----------------------------------13-17-13----|
A||-----------------------------13-15----------15-|
F||-----------------------10-14-------------------|
C||-----------------10-12-------------------------|
G||--8---------8-12-------------------------------|
D||----10-8-10------------------------------------|

--19-16----------------------------16-19-16-------||
--------17----------------------17----------17----||
-----------16----------------16----------------16-||
--------------18----------18----------------------||
-----------------19-14-19-------------------------||
--------------------------------------------------||

I'd alt pick the whole thing. Romeo likes to do it a lot, like in the intro of Smoke & Mirrors and so on.

Shit, that's really crazy!! :worship:

This his how I play it, I've seen a couple of other tablatures with different arpeggio pattern, but I guess this is pretty much spot on. I was too lazy to write all the three patterns (they are identical after all.)
Code:
D||-----------------------------------13-17-13----|
A||-----------------------------13-15----------15-|
F||-----------------------10-14-------------------|
C||-----------------10-12-------------------------|
G||--8---------8-12-------------------------------|
D||----10-8-10------------------------------------|

--19-16----------------------------16-19-16-------||
--------17----------------------17----------17----||
-----------16----------------16----------------16-||
--------------18----------18----------------------||
-----------------19-14-19-------------------------||
--------------------------------------------------||

Yes, those seems to be the right notes. Weird though, that it's not the same as MJR's own transcription though, which makes a little bit confused..

Thanks guys! I'll upload a clip when I'm done with it. Keep -> :Smokin:

I've noticed the differences in MJR's transcriptions too. Not just this song. Maybe he has written them out of his memory without having a guitar at hand.

Now you have many ways to play it, try them all.

My bad. I had some sort of brainlock and got mixed with terms. I didn't mean to alt pick that whole thing. The latter pattern is swept of course. So is the S&M intro but Romeo picks every note (so he's not using legato on the edge strings of the arpeggio.)