It's Helloween...

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I have been slowly, but surely picking up discs
of bands that I was into in the past...
Rediscovering them... I had been a fan of Helloween, until 7 keys II, then I lost track
of them.. Most recenly I picked up their Dark Ride disc & love it... So, the questions is, what other titles would you guys recommend from the band? I know their latest Rabbit Don't Come Easy, has gotten some "good" reviews...

IMO The Dark Ride is their best cd from the andi deris era. You should also get The Time of the Oath and maybe Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Stay away from Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon, and listen to Master of the Rings and Better than Raw before you buy them

Esteban said:
IMO The Dark Ride is their best cd from the andi deris era. You should also get The Time of the Oath and maybe Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Stay away from Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon, and listen to Master of the Rings and Better than Raw before you buy them
I saw the title Pink Bubbles Go Ape & thought "what the fuck is this?!" Thanks for the reply mi hermano!

After Angra, helloween is probably my favorite Power Metal band... While all those power metal bands are still playing what they invented back in the 80's, they keep on changing. Every single Helloween album is different from one another, The 2 Keepers being the exception, for obvious reasons. The only album I dislike is Walls Of Jericho.

First and foremost stay away from Chameleon. Pink Bubbles Go Ape is very risky too but it has a few decent tunes on it.

Now onto the Andi Deris era. I own everything except Master Of The Rings. I know many songs on Master Of The Rings and it is a great album so definetly consider picking that up.

Time Of The Oath is a very good album and definetly worth owning. High Live is an awesome 2 disc set and also out on DVD. It is worth the pick up. Features many tunes from Master Of The Rings and Time of the Oath as well as stuff like "Dr Stein" and "Eagle Fly Free".

Then there is Better Than Raw. My personal favorite Deris era album. Much like its title it is raw Helloween but some songs are slightly better than raw. It's really good stuff. An essential power metal album in my opinion.

Next up is the Dark Ride. I personally love the album and think it is great. However the current band themselves do not like that album. After that album Uli and Roland wanted to keep going in that darker direction but the rest of the band wanted to go back to happy helloween which is why Roland and Uli bailed out and formed Masterplan. Even though the band doesn't dig the album I loved it. My favorite tune is "The Departed". They still play "If I Could Fly" live.

Next up is Rabbit Don't Come Easy. My favorite Deris album behind Better Than Raw. This album to me combines elements of Better Than Raw and Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II. It is a return to form and you can tell immediately when listening to the great also hilarious opening track "Just A Little Sign". This is up there with my favorite albums of the year.

I just saw Helloween live in New York two weeks ago and they were amazing. The first 5 tunes they played were "Starlight", "Murderer", "Keeper Of The Seven Keys", "Future World", and "Eagle Fly Free". You simply cannot beat that. It is up there with my favorite concerts of all time. Andi Deris is a great frontman and really knows how to get acrowd going and in the mood.

Long live the Pumpkins.

Get Rabbit Don't Come Easy, keeping in mind that it's a very hapy album. Then Better Than Raw and Master Of The Rings are worth picking up as well, but sample a few songs from them. If you want suggestions on what songs, just ask me.

TheGraveDigger said:
Next up is the Dark Ride. I personally love the album and think it is great. However the current band themselves do not like that album. After that album Uli and Roland wanted to keep going in that darker direction but the rest of the band wanted to go back to happy helloween which is why Roland and Uli bailed out and formed Masterplan. Even though the band doesn't dig the album I loved it. My favorite tune is "The Departed". They still play "If I Could Fly" live.
Damn, I wish they had continued in that direction, they had something interesting; there are too many happy power metal bands and helloween is not even the best of them