ITT - we suggest new things IW.com should do.

deadair

Overly-Cryptic Jake
i'm still trying to come up with as many ideas as i can for new content for the site. i think the random/odd/unique interviews is a good step, but what other articles would you like to see on a site like ours?

i'm just trying to come up with anything to break us out of the middle-ground mass-of-sites that we are currently in.

- pay designers for services rendered

- step up your coverage of underserved genres, like Hydrahead-related stuff and other intelligent heavy rock. it's better to be a leader in a niche than to spread yourself too thin.

- more non-music stuff

-Art of the Day feature, could be anything and is vague enough not to be to hard to find. Could even have partnership with people from sites like tinyshowcase.com etc...

-Could try to find people to talk about design and/or architecture too. Peoples like her:
http://designsponge.blogspot.com/ , I could ask my brother for the architecture part (he might not be very constant thought)

-

avi, i have thought about focusing the site more. more of the HH/noise/amb/experimental stuff.

simon, that art thing could totally fit in our blog when it gets done.

and as far as the non-musical stuff, you are right. i need to get some film related interviews... stuff like that.

well, here's the problem: at the same time that the indie scene enables so much in the way of diversity of experiences, trying new things artistically, etc, there's a HUGE element of people who like to mock/make fun of "different" things that don't also happen to fit the weekly definition of what they think is cool. i cannot believe the ease at which people improperly throw around the adjective "pretentious" for example. so if you're gonna try new stuff, you're gonna get some bad reactions.

but that doesn't mean not to try new stuff. i dunno if i have any good ideas though.

what if you maybe did something where you did, like, the provenance of a particular album, band, musician, or even song? like explained why it was a cultural touchstone for a lot of people and what it meant. like maybe take "the shape of punk to come" and instead of doing a "review" of it, focus entirely on explaining when it came out, what its influences were, who its members were, its reception, its current position, did it sell well and in what areas, was it part of a current trend in music or did it kick off a trend and if so who took up the mantle, et cetera.

this requires a lot of work and knowledge--more knowledge than i have--and you run the risk of sounding like an authority and then people whio know more being like "jesus but you completely forgot how dennis lyxzen said he sang exactly like screamy mcscreamerson of the scene screamers in order to establish a connection between swedish hardcore and costa rican extreme doom!!!!"

homerspage.gif

i could probably write some features/articles on improvisors in boston, who would probably be GRATEFUL for the exposure. but i have to think about this before i commit to that, and also i dont want to be nepotistic (cover my friends/people i play with at others expense-i think this is one of the great crimes of journalism)

i might feel more comfortable just doing concert reviews.

i just see the reason to read sites like indieworkshop as a way to learn more about the music you're reading about, and a lot of times writers don't give a context but just throw around some adjectives here and there. after i read indieworkshop for a month, i'd like to be a more knowledgeable person about the whole music thing and be able to be like "yeah that totally has DC sound, probably due to the influence of XYZ dude who used to play in ZYX band. remember they got dropped from their label for not being 'extreme enough', and they got really pissed off and went on to make the heaviest album of their career for their new label?" etc.