I've now found my perfect set of strings

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
It's really quite a comforting feeling - for C-standard, these:

EJ21.gif

are absolutely perfect for me. I tried these:

EXL145.gif

But the .54 was too thick (harder to do pinch harmonics and ensuing crazy vibrato) and the unwound .20 was WAAAAYYYYYYY too thin (ugghh, twang-city), so the above .12-.52 set is perfect! The one thing I am gonna try is ordering a wound .22 G-string instead of the .24 that comes with the set, cuz I still am just as much of a soloist as rhythm player (perhaps even more so). Just thought I'd share that with y'all; I know lots of people love MONDO strings on the lows and tiny on the top, but I'm the opposite!

It's always good to fall on a set that works for you.

Personally I use the EXL 140 set, with an added 66 to 70 for the low Bb string. I'm one of those 'mondo bottoms, tiny tops' guys. I don't quite know how you can get away with rhythm playing in C with such thin strings.

I discovered my perfect set recently... Standard guage d'addario strings with a 60 top string for drop Bb. works great for me, pretty tight.

Joe

It's funny how strings work so much differently for each person. Every time I've used D'Addario, one of the strings will break within a week. I must add that is some thick stringage. Was this for trem or non-trem guitar? Just wondering if you had to carve out more space on the nut?

It's really quite a comforting feeling - for C-standard, these:

EJ21.gif

I use the EJ21's in C standard too. For B standard I used the EJ22 which were 13-56. To me each set in each respective tuning felt closest to the same tension as 10's in E standard. But I have a Floyd so that makes a big diff. I thought the wound G was gonna be awkward the first time I used them but I liked it.

I don't quite know how you can get away with rhythm playing in C with such thin strings.

Devin Townsend can ;) (see 6:40 onwards)

Honestly, I totally agree with him - once the low strings become too thick, then I find it sounds too muffled, and it's really the pinch harmonic silliness that's the deal breaker for me (I find it so much easier to get a good harmonic and vibrato on a .52 than even a .54, to say nothing about anything thicker). Here's a vid of me playing, I wouldn't say I'm a slouch or a wimpy picker! :D (and once again, neither is Devin)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-z8XQTa2Y&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
And even though I'm using my EC-400 (24.75" neck) in that vid, it was on my Ibanez Prestige (25.5" neck) that I tried the .12-.54, and the wound G string was still WAAYYY too twangy (and the low C too thick)

It's funny how strings work so much differently for each person. Every time I've used D'Addario, one of the strings will break within a week. I must add that is some thick stringage. Was this for trem or non-trem guitar? Just wondering if you had to carve out more space on the nut?

Non trem, hardtail/tune-o-matic, and they settled into the nut pretty well - I've been doing it for so long on my EC-400 that while they might not have fit at first, they sure do now! :loco: