Jackson guitars - X-series - newb

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
I am looking for a new guitar, and i know you guy's opinions gonna be very devided.
So i ordered a Jackson King V from the X-series in the color Kawasabi green at thomann. Just was browsing through the guitar section there and saw this. I looked amazing, never seen it before, didn't know it was 2012 model. It said short delivery date, but after ordering, they told me it was sold out. So basicly, no green V for me. And have no interest in a black V iether so... maybe a white, but they aint selling one.
Since i ofc paid it already (i can still get refunded ofc). I still am interested in a jackson guitar. Tho i never owned or played one before. Currently i am using Ibanez guitars, 2 rgd series, and a cheap xiphos, all of em equiped with duncan distortions. It seems i can't get used very easy to the 26.5" neckscale of the Rgds, so i kinda want to try a different brand. But since i don't want to go back to LTDs, worst but most expensive guitar i ever owned (mh401), playingwise and soundwise my rgd's are superior.

But to get to the points: what do you guys think of the Jackson SLATXMG(Q)3-6 Soloist guitars? They are X-series, made in india orso. How do they sound/play?

Some sort of brutal alike deathmetal in Drop B. About that MH400 or 401, can't remember, the overall finish/look of the guitar is great. But the neck was rather thick? slow? and the sound just wasnt there, didn't matter if i reamped it, or went directly in the amp, it always sorta sounded undergained. Lacking defenition, might have been the strings, maybe the pickup/electronics, i dunno, it generally sucked, it had no roar.

Maybe the neck feels it's too thick because you are used to play ibanez. About the sound, I've played one and it sounded brutal and nice for the price.

Maybe the neck feels it's too thick because you are used to play ibanez. About the sound, I've played one and it sounded brutal and nice for the price.

I didn't use Ibanez before that one, i used a LTD M-100FM. Wich has a thinner neck, and before those i used BC Rich. So.... ye. Might be some stuff for you sounds brutal but not for me...

Have you looked into schecter? I love the aesthetics of their guitars. Also maybe you should try other Ltd's. I play an MH-250 and with the blackouts that I put in it, it is probably my favorite guitar I have ever played for metal. Tone is killer, neck is super thin. The only problem I'be had with it is that the springs on the Floyd rose cause a horrible reverb that gets picked up. It makes it impossible to play anything and sound clean. But I packed some little foam sheets around them and it took care of it.
Jackson's are great though too.

Have you looked into schecter? I love the aesthetics of their guitars. Also maybe you should try other Ltd's. I play an MH-250 and with the blackouts that I put in it, it is probably my favorite guitar I have ever played for metal. Tone is killer, neck is super thin. The only problem I'be had with it is that the springs on the Floyd rose cause a horrible reverb that gets picked up. It makes it impossible to play anything and sound clean. But I packed some little foam sheets around them and it took care of it.
Jackson's are great though too.

Schecter has shifted production of the majority of their guitars to Indonesia now, so take that into consideration when shopping for a new Schecter.

Since i can be pretty stubborn and impatient, i already ordered the jackson slatxmg3-6. So... ye. I don't like the parker headstocks, and have no interest in Schecter guitars. The pro-series king V guitars also look intriging, they maybe only are a few 100 euro's more, but since the hollidays still have to come, they still are a few 100 euro's more.

Indonesian-made guitars = mehhh, IMO.

You get the ocasional great guitar once in a while, but overall, they seem to be very hit or miss... mostly miss, lol.

Not sure if all the mid and lower end Jacksons are being made there currently, though.

The LTD 401's were such a downgrade to the 400 series, IMO.

I think ik owned the MH400, not the 401, not sure, wasn't made in indonesia. Had also a white body binding, not a natural one like some had. My ibanez guitars are all made in in indonesia, soundwise i can't complain about these. Even with the stock pickups their sound was alot more clear then the LTD. Even my M-100FM performed better for rythm and chord stuff then MH.

This LTD is indonesian and sounds pretty cool, I think it's very close to the mh I played. Listen to 0:46 and 3:52. Not bad for the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is just my personal experience, but I've owned both Indonesian and Korean LTD's. I've also played Indonesian Ibanezes (or whatever you spell the plural form of "Ibanez", lol), and own a Korean and a Japanese Ibanez. I personally always felt the gap in quality is bigger between Indo and Korean than between Korean and Japanese. Again, just my experience.

But like I said, you do get the occasional gem with Indonesian guitars.

The way you describe the MH, it just seems like you just didn't get along with the thicker/rounder neck profile and with the tone of EMG's, which makes me think you wouldn't dig Schecters either because they have an even thicker neck profile than LTD's.

Congrats on the SLAT. Let us know how you like it.

:)

Bon, i got it, and i like it, feels pretty solid, the neck is nice n straight. I do somewhat wished i choose another color (ordered a white one - white one can be beautifull - but since i already have white Ibanez)

Bon, i got it, and i like it, feels pretty solid, the neck is nice n straight. I do somewhat wished i choose another color (ordered a white one - white one can be beautifull - but since i already have white Ibanez)

Could you post a clip to hear how it sounds?

Could you post a clip to hear how it sounds?

NO!!!

not yet, might be some time later, gonna retrack the guitars our last recorded song when i regain some energie, just quitted smoking and started going to the gymm again. Wanted to ask Tim for some advice, but he got stuck somewhere cause he became a satanist.