James/all, why EMG 81/85???

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
I know there are other places on UM i could ask this question, but i've noticed most people here are pretty cool, and love these pickups.
But why?
The reason i'm asking is because i wana change the bridge pup in my Jackson (PS-2) but i have been thinking about the X2N. Thats another reason i'm asking this here, James having worked with Chuck in his Death stint, i thought he could shed some light on my questions/decision knowing the characteristics of both pups in question.

I have read what you guys have to say about the EMG's, but i know that if go down that route i'll end up plugging my guitar in, setting my amp to a scooped thrash tone (pretending its a rectifier) and sit playing 'tallica songs all day.
That's what i spent the first 5 years of playing guitar doing, i want to move on.

Now im just rambling.............PLEASE HELP ME!!

Cheers in advance

Daniel\m/

:err:

.. i guess i'm just utterly baffled as to why having one pick-up or another would make you play one band's songs/style and nothing else.... ??

with this logic i guess you should be concerned that if you get an X2N you will end up just playing Death songs all the time.

for me, EMG's are accurate... what you play in, you get out.. clear and defined... you can't hide bad technique when you use an EMG.. and luckily at the same time they don't sound clinical at all.... i just get the true sound of my fingers, guitar, and amp.

James Murphy said:
:err:

.. i guess i'm just utterly baffled as to why having one pick-up or another would make you play one band's songs/style and nothing else.... ??

with this logic i guess you should be concerned that if you get an X2N you will end up just playing Death songs all the time.

for me, EMG's are accurate... what you play in, you get out.. clear and defined... you can't hide bad technique when you use an EMG.. and luckily at the same time they don't sound clinical at all.... i just get the true sound of my fingers, guitar, and amp.

Thanks for replying James.
You know, i never realy gave it any thought with reference to the X2N (playing only death songs). I guess Chuck influenced me in a different way, his music makes me wana write.........but still, your point is extreemely valid and made me think about my comment.

Anyway, thankx for the advice. Very concise and usefull, and much appreciated.
Cheers

Daniel\m/

Nebulous said:
Thanks for replying James.
You know, i never realy gave it any thought with reference to the X2N (playing only death songs). I guess Chuck influenced me in a different way, his music makes me wana write.........but still, your point is extreemely valid and made me think about my comment.

Anyway, thankx for the advice. Very concise and usefull, and much appreciated.
Cheers

Daniel\m/
Also, try an EMG 85 in the bridge.

It is James Murphy's own recommendation, and a stellar one at that.

Do you guys with 81's or 85's generally run the gain all the way up? I found that the sound can get kind of spongy with too much gain. The 81's in my guitar are really bright and sound good, but they have quite a bit of treble it seems.

I'm still waiting for the first shipment of Schecter guitars by Dominant Music (a distributor here) to arrive. The Hellraiser C-7 will be a priority on my list of guitars to try out... that has 2 EMG 707's which apparently are quite similar to the 85. Really looking forward to hearing how they're voiced in an all mahogany bodied guitar.

The 707 owns. I have one in my Ibanez...

It's kind of a cross between the 81 and 85. Should sound pretty damn good with mahogany, probably nice and fat.

.j.