James Hetfield:......Interview.........

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
Interview: James Hetfield from Metallica</B>

Online Entertainment Editor MEGAN GIBB interviewed Metallica singer James Hetfield before their performance at the Big Day Out yesterday.

You're touring with the Big Day Out, Metallica has played a few festivals over the years, what draws you to doing festivals rather than your own shows?

Well I think on this we're doing a little of both, some of the days off we're going and headlining, we're doing some stuff with The Datsuns, in Australia that is, but here, we've always heard about this [the Big Day Out] and we've never got to do it. For Metallica after 12 years to still find a first to do is really cool. Plus we get to be in the summertime again.

How does your set differ from your own shows to a festival like this?

Well, we don’t get to play as long, like only two hours, instead of three or so (laughs)

That long?

No, we do play plenty long, for our old, head banging necks. Two hours is quite a long set for a festival like this, and when you look at the list, there's a lot of bands playing. We're shortening it up a little bit, it’s a festival, people are there to usually enjoy the best songs you've got, so it's ahh... two songs is what we got... stretch em out really long. (laughs)

What are the oldest Metallica songs you still play? I know you play a couple off 'Kill 'em All', from the look of recent set lists.

Oh yeah. We're playing stuff from 'Kill 'em All' all the way up to 'St Anger', 'Seek and Destroy' is always a great one to play.

What are your favourite songs to play live? What gets the best response?

Well nowadays, the songs from 'St Anger' are going over really well, boy, stuff like 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', 'Nothing Else Matters' they really get the crowd moving, anything that the crowd can be a part of, sing along, like 'Master Of Puppets' well, I get a rest, vocally!(laughs)

St Anger going over well?

I definitely don’t get a rest on any of those songs!!

So besides the press youre doing today, what's your regular pre-show ritual like, what are you going to be doing for the next couple of hours?

Well, when the interviews are done, we get a little food, we have a meet-and-greet with fan club members, and we also have some kinda schmoozy stuff with the record company, and guests of theirs, then you know, start getting our battle gear on.

Do you guys communicate much before the show?

Yeah, when we get the set list together usually we're talking about what things work, what doesn’t work, you know, between songs, can we fill it in with this or?.., then we go into, we've got a 'tuning and attitude room', that is pretty much what it says, we tune up, we get geared up, we shake some rust off, get psyched up, say a little prayer... and kick ass!

What about winding down afterwards?

Well, re-hydrate, take a shower, try and stop sweating, just eat some food... I just usually like to chill out.

You don’t go out?

Well it depends whats going on, if theres some kind of special event, here it's our only gig in NZ, so if there's something afterwards, I'd go by, say hi to a few people.

This week at the Sundance Film Festival a documentary on Metallica is playing - "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" - Have you seen all of that?

I've seen the film, yeah.

Did you like how it turned out?

Yeah, I saw it once, and that was enough. (laughs).

Its was filmed over the process of making St Anger, is that right?

Yeah, two years of struggle, pretty much, after Jason left, me going into rehab, and us not knowing if the band was gonna continue, it was pretty interesting that a film crew was there, starting it. It was just gonna be a 'making of' the record, it turned into something more.

You did something similar while making the Black album.

Yeah, but this is like, so much deeper. It gets into personal lives, arguments, fights.

That’s my next question... Dave Mustaine (Singer of Megadeth and short-term member of Metallica in their early days) he's on there somewhere is he?

Yeah, hes in there.

Whats youre relationship with him now?

It's allright.

Do you keep in contact?

Well you know, we share struggles, trying to stay clear and present, we don’t really communicate much, we're doing a lot of communicating within the four of us, in the band... I wasn't around when he (Mustaine) was there, I was doing my own soul searching.

Old thrash bands, Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Death Angel reforming, touring, what do you think about that?

Great.

Do you still follow them? I know Kirk (Hammett, Metallica guitarist) was in Exodus for while...

Kirk was in Exodus, and ahh, they’ve gone though some tough stuff too, their original singer died, and those other bands, they were all around when we were growing up, and starting.

And now theyre back playing again.

I means its great, if they want to do it, why not... I mean if it feels right, if it feels good, some bands have survived, and some bands needed to go away and then come back when metal got, kinda together again.

What was the last metal album you bought, actually paid for?

Metal... hmmm what do I consider metal... Mars Volta... that's not really metal, Queens of the Stone Age...

You mean you don’t really follow the heavier bands?

You mean like death metal?

Well yeah, there's a broad range of bands doing things these days that get called metal, I mean the heavier stuff

Well like Hatebreed...

Hatebreed were down here last year, they were great...

Yeah, we tend to get those things for free, for some reason (laughs) so it's awesome!

Cool, I just wanted to get an idea of the things you were listening to.

Yeah we're getting some of that stuff, and it's cool to thow on and see whats going on out there, you know, you can really get wrapped up in you own stuff, for a while, I definitely don’t listen to our stuff all the time! When you've just made an album and you're so intense on your stuff, you're not reaching out for other kinds of stuff. When you're making a record, you're not on your time off, resting your ears with Hatebreed you know! (laughs).

I know you’ve only recently released it, (the album) and it was a long time coming, but are there any plans for a follow up?

Well we've got a lot of songs that we didn’t use on St Anger, maybe about 18 songs. They might see the light of day somehwere, we might kind of revamp some of them, but there's no lack of new stuff coming, everytime we go in the 'Tuning and Attitude' room, there's something new.

Youre still writing.

Oh we can't not write, you can't just turn it off.

I know you’ve been nominated in the Grammys this year, does that mean anything to you?

Yeah, definitely. Especially being around 22 years, you know? Theres a little gap between the last one and now.

The last one was for the Black album?

Actually I think 'The Call of Ktulu' on S&M, but its really great to still be nominated.

You’ve got a good portion of this year filled with touring, what else does the future hold, for the next, maybe... year? This year we'll be on the road quite a bit, though not as much as before, we'll be taking some nice breaks, to be able to be home with family, you know, we've got kids growing up, don’t want to miss that, and then hopefully start recording after the beginning of next year.

This part kills me....

And now theyre back playing again.

I means its great, if they want to do it, why not... I mean if it feels right, if it feels good, some bands have survived, and some bands needed to go away and then come back when metal got, kinda together again.

A little arrogant are we? "Some bands have survived" (meaning Metallica) "and some bands needed to go away and then come back when metal got, kinda together again" (meaning Death Angel and Exodus...and probably everyone else...Testament included)

Well I'll tell ya what Jaymz...Metallica hasn't survived...and if any of those 18 songs are even close to sounding like St Wanker...go right back to the drawing board because you have almost used up all of your get outa jail free cuz you used to slay cards!!!:err: :Smug:

Metal... hmmm what do I consider metal... Mars Volta... that's not really metal, Queens of the Stone Age...

Well yeah, there's a broad range of bands doing things these days that get called metal, I mean the heavier stuff

Well like Hatebreed...

"You mean like Death Metal".......the Forbidden zone to him........And Hatebreed is'nt Death Metal, James........and what you consider Metal is alternative to me!............He is so outta touch with Metal, its so sad, what the fuck happened?

Deadly Embrace said:

Well like Hatebreed...

"You mean like Death Metal".......the Forbidden zone to him........And Hatebreed is'nt Death Metal, James........and what you consider Metal is alternative to me!............He is so outta touch with Metal, its so sad, what the fuck happened?

You are absolutely right DE...WTF happened to him? Hatebreed is death metal?? Queens of the Stone Age is metal??? Ummmmm OK...that's just embarrassing!!

You both are right, what the fuck ????? This was one of the kings of metal (back in the day) guitarists that got me into Metal , and even made me wanna pick up a guitar !!!! Queens of the Stone Age ????? You both hit it on the head, he is WAAAYYY out of touch. It must be nice to be that rich. Money , sucess, and people telling you , "you are god" and kissing your ass for years makes you loose touch I guess. That is a sad interview. I guess we now know why Metallica sucks , and we know why Jason couldn't take it. It all seems clear now. :loco: o_O :D

That guy has now truly graduated from mental midget to all out fucktard. Why do people give a fuck what he has to say? The guy is a shipwreck...nonstop. It's painful rather than entertaining to follow this band nowadays.

Deadly Embrace said:

Well like Hatebreed...

totally.... :lol:
i dont know if to laugh or to cry really.

I want to lock Metallica up in a garage, tie them down to chairs and force them to listen to their first four albums over and over again, then what Testament, Exodus, Death Angel and the like are doing these days, then some of the better active death metal and black metal bands and then scream in their faces "THIS! IS METAL TODAY! ST. ANGER IS NOT METAL. YOU ARE NOT PLAYING METAL. GET A FUCKING CLUE AND START PLAYING METAL AGAIN. AND START DRINKING" Then I'd force-feed them drugs and vodka and throw them some cheap amps and guitars and a tape recorder and then maybe they could produce something worthwhile again.

I know, but the thing is, back in the "Load" times they weren't even pretending to play metal. Now when their supposedly back-to-roots, "metal" album is out which ultimately proved to be neither (and lacking all and any quality whatsoever,) they seem even more pathetic.

I don't really like the direction they have headed in but at the same time I can't crucify the guy. He seems happy with their new experimental side. And thats all that matters. I know it is painfully difficult but Everybody has to freaking step back and take a few deep breaths. Metallica has the freedom of choice to even record Gospel tunes as long as it is rewarding to the guys. END OF STORY. (NOTE: I never was a huge Metallica fan at any point)

How many millions of people do you think have a love/hate-relationship with Metallica? They went from being so cool, to so fucking gay. At least Rob said he likes Candiria and Meshuggah, they probably won't take much of his input on the next album I bet. Get ready for St. re-Anger.

Spirit Of Vengeance said:
......... Metallica has the freedom of choice to even record Gospel tunes as long as it is rewarding to the guys. END OF STORY. (NOTE: I never was a huge Metallica fan at any point)
Well if you never were a huge Metallica fan then..............you certainly do not understand our disapointment............and despair!

Deadly Embrace said:
Well if you never were a huge Metallica fan then..............you certainly do not understand our disapointment............and despair!
I was a huge Metallica fan then and I don't understand the disappointment
and dispair either...Seriously...why dont you explain it!

I mean, c'mon, Metallica's been sucking ass for a really long time.
This isn't new. They've been sucking ass longer than they were killer.

Follow the timeline of suck...about 15 years of suck.....

1991 Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters
1996 Load ...And the makeup and eyeliner and nail polish
1997 Reload
1998 S&M
1999 Garage Inc (Those Merciful Fate covers are the worst shit ever
and Whiskey In the Jar was just retarted and cheesy)
2000 Taking on Napster.
2002 Losing the only METAL guy in the band...Jasun Newkid.
2003 St.Wanker

Is this disappointment and dispair you're talking about like when you
break up with a girlfriend and you're glad you've got that hell off
your back but you'll miss getting laid cause she was good in the sack?

Deadly Embrace said:
.........He is so outta touch with Metal, its so sad, what the fuck happened?
No shit. I think he got sober. That's what happened! That doc got into his head......he needs to go back to drinking and pill popping. Maybe then we could have the old Metallica back!

Valofvalhalla said:
No shit. I think he got sober. That's what happened! That doc got into his head......he needs to go back to drinking and pill popping. Maybe then we could have the old Metallica back!
did you forget that during the recording of Load he was still an alcoholic and hell he even even still had long hair (the hair wasn't cut until right before that photo shoot).....so that has nothing to do with the music of the old Metallica.....