james metallica

I liked his raw, stripped down approach that he had on Kill 'Em All, and the relatively refined style he used up to ...And Justice For All. I think he did a good job on Metallica as well, but after that he's horrible. That doesn't mean that he was ever a good singer. More that his voice went well with the music.

Dodens Grav said:
I liked his raw, stripped down approach that he had on Kill 'Em All, and the relatively refined style he used up to ...And Justice For All. I think he did a good job on Metallica as well, but after that he's horrible. That doesn't mean that he was ever a good singer. More that his voice went well with the music.
Agree completely.

Not the greatest vocalist in terms of talent,range, but his vocals are distinct. James does fit the music very well. He wrote great lyrics up until a certain point making his vocals better. James vocal approach was brooding without being harsh or annoying. Very clear up front vocal delivery.

Very good front person.

....On him not being aggressive enough for thrash. Metallica was generally middle paced besides Kill 'em all. He would not need to be more aggressive. James not being aggressive enough for thrash standards would not take away from his vocals unles he sang on Pleasure To Kill,etc...

Best Singin', And Justice for All, really ballsy and mean sounding but you could understand every word.

Man, is this a poorly titled thread or what?

Anyway, I always thought he was good. Perhaps underrated. No one ever brings him up when best vocalists comes up. It's not like the new stuff sucks because of the singing.

Pyrus said:
Far better live than in the studio, like most thrash vocalists. Now he'd make a pretty decent blues-rock singer, but his voice is fucked when it comes to metal. Doesn't have the aggression needed for thrash.

Metallica's not thrash lol.

Reverend_Reason said:
Metallica's not thrash lol.

potter_o_rly_owl.jpg