Jamming/Practice No Compressor

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Me and a buddy are jamming in a room, and we are using a pod xt into large pa system and real drums kick and snare mic'd. It is fairly difficult to hear the vocals over the mix, soft parts are hard to hear. He sings very "trippy" sort of an alice in chains type draggy somewhat quiet vocals. The room is treated. My mixing board has built in delay and reverb but no compression. I do not own an outboard compressor. I've tried using compression plugins through protools with RME fireface and super low buffer size and i am having no problems with latency. But for some reason the sound is awful, very thin and almost feedback type high end. Not really sure why. But lets just say that it doesnt really sound great. Any tips on using plugins live or making the vocals cut without compression?

Kind of an odd one.

Thanks.

Its kinda hard to turn down the acoustic kit in the room. I have the guitar at a level where it sits nice with the drums. Im really just looking for a way to make ITB compression sound good live. Im not sure why but its not sounding anything like it does listened back processed. I must get an odd resonance or feedback coming back into the sm58, ive tried eq/gating etc. Going to try a different mic see what happens. Thanks.