Japan´s Tsunami

Shit man- fooled me... considering there really are radical people like that. Pretty sad.

I just don't really get how someone just like decides to make up some image and keep it up for a year and just goes "oh yeah- I was faking LOL" *peace*

Gross. Just THAT much time on your hands? I don't know if I can see the humor on it or if I find it just tasteless. No harm done but yeah idk.

All of this sucks

Last night I saw a couple of elder japanese crying in utter despair over the news, saying how they now had no home, their whole family was dead and the goverment told them to take cover inside their house, so yeah I was pissed, but you get the point-

Just as you say the Japanese use robots for wiping their asses. Do you really think yours is the more reasonable point of view?

I was exaggerating for effect there, obviously.

You just did the same when comparing 'cybernetic performing animals' to nuclear robotics. You are right though in that robots used in nuclear plants normally have limited and somewhat simple tasks to perform.

The point of sacrificing human lives because it's expensive to get robots, performing mandatory maintenance operations, etc doesn't seem valid to me.

Don't you agree that it's ironic considering how Japan is arguably the world leader in the field of robotics, how they had none in there?

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/...ot-sending-packbots-and-warriors-to-fukushima

FWIW my point is to make you see that just as most of you keep on trying to pretend like things are gonna be fine 'just because', that's exactly how Tokyo Electric Power Co. and the japanese government have proceeded (up until yesterday at least).

I'm going to stop posting on the topic now, as I may start to look like since the tsunami happened, that I'm rooting for a meltdown or something, and I'm not. I just don't see much reason to believe they will be able to fix it and make it go away as if nothing happened, or at the very least in a somehow satisfactory way. Perhaps now that US scientists and other countries finally started getting involved, they might have a real fighting chance.

Time will tell, but I sincerely hope to be proved to be very wrong and just paranoid.

Cheerz

I don't think you realize how serious the situation is (as just about everyone else apparently).

I know how serious the situation is for the Japanese people.
What im arguing about is comparing it to Chernobyl due to the widespread damages it had(It was first detected by Swedish scientists at Forsmark 1000 kilometers away.).

I admit that more people will die directly from this incident, but again, the global effects wont be even nearly the one from Chernobyl.

As so many other threads start around here, I'm not trying to be a dick, but..

You have to understand that radiation is something that has to be contained under very special conditions, as it is by definition, unstable matter trying to become stable. Pouring water with student-riot trucks and helicopters throwing buckets of sea water that disperses into the air is just the latest in a chain of ridiculous attempts to save face, much more than adressing the problem.
SO many things could have been done.. Restoring the power was a priority ABOVE rescuing survivors, that's why I said some days ago why the hell aren't they using a submarine or a portable power plant or SOMETHING to get back the power ASAP. Then there's some reportedly successful research the russians that worked on Chernobyl and the experiments on nuclear submarines and carriers developed for fusion containtment.. why hasn't that been used?

I havent argued about these things.. theres no doubt that they handled the situation poorly.
Then again, its hard to understand the pressure of maintaining core stability when half of your family might be buried under rubble(Not that im defending them though.).

Japanese use robots even for wiping their ass.. why then are they sending actual people to die?

Why do they have people working at the powerplant at all? They could all be replaced by computers and robots!
Seriously, just think a while about that one.

I said before the steel containtment could have exploded from pressure, but obviously it broke much before that. I guess I was giving them too much credit. TEPCO is a corrupt and irresponsible monopoly with big power on Japan (at least they were). Them and the lame ass goverment of Japan, is who we're all trusting in. Unfortunately America is starting a tradition in having idiots 'running' the oval office. At least the one before this one had BALLS and could have stepped in and attempted something I guess. If by any chance and after all this, you still think there's such a thing as a god, better PRAY to him/her that the generators are still functional. Or else how are they going to prevent a catastrophic meltdown?

The majority of the people are fleeing so no it's not like millions are going to burn in flames (I don't see why), but the islands might very well become inhabitable for decades, depending on how things progress. In order to contain the actual mess they would have to BURY the whole thing under a GIGANTIC sarcophagus like it was done in Chernobyl. Now there, the roof blew up, so they basically sealed it and covered it with massive amounts of concrete. The whole mess was contained inside a building.. how are they gonna go about Fukushima? Have you seen the state of those buildings lately?

Chernobyl_Disaster.jpg

And in case you didnt know, THIS is what the sarcophagus looks like:

chernobyl_sarcophagus__large.jpg

They didn't "pour in concrete", they built a shell surrounding the reactor.

At the current state its hard to estimate how much land that will become uninhabitable, but i doubt that it will become such a large problem as its currently is being portrayed.

As I said before, once a reactor melts, the others will most likely follow.

I really dont see why.
It never played out that way in any of the few nuclear meltdowns that have occurred.

So yeah sure radiation won't affect Russia, China, the Koreas, Australia, or the US.. for now. If I'm not mistaken the wind generally speaking flows east there, but radiation spreads on a somewhat concentric circle from the source also. Fissile isotopes used inside reactors have a half-life of up to millions-billions of years, meaning, the problem won't go away so fast -or easy-.

The thing is that the fuel rods will remain within the reactors, so it wont cause heavy radiation to spread(Even though a total meltdown would be a complete catastrophe.).

Lets put it like this: After Chernobyl we couldn't eat berries in Sweden for 4 years, and Chernobyl actually blasted nuclear waste in to the air and even on site it was 300 times more radioactive then Fukushima.. so yeah, even if it blew up in the same scale as Chernobyl the US wouldn't be affected(You probably could measure the radiation, but still at levels where you dont have to give a fuck.).

I understand why you think I was trolling with the fallout map... but I wasn't. Not saying that's going to happen -let's hope not- but one thing is to be optimistic, and another one is ignoring science so blatantly.

Nah, didnt think you where trolling, but it was based 100% around fear.
Here you have a good link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Fukushima_accidents_overview_map.svg