Jari's rant about Wintersun, Nuclear Blast, and crowdfunding

According to the Wintersun entry on Wiikipedia, the band began when "Mäenpää began pulling together songs that he had been working on since 1995". If you've managed to complete only two albums in 19 years, perhaps the issue isn't the label.

Clearly the Finnish government isn't supporting him well enough. Maybe he should relocate to Boston where he might find a more like minded kind of artist...

According to the Wintersun entry on Wiikipedia, the band began when "Mäenpää began pulling together songs that he had been working on since 1995". If you've managed to complete only two albums in 19 years, perhaps the issue isn't the label.

That's not really fair. Jari was a main writer in Ensiferum in the late 90's all the way to 2004, actually. Wintersun was originally supposed to be a solo album only and he put a band together around it when he got fired from Ensiferum.

Also is it just me, or is the statement from NB enormously patronizing? Sounds like it came from a bunch of Germans who want to believe we're all a lot dumber than we are.

Also is it just me, or is the statement from NB enormously patronizing? Sounds like it came from a bunch of Germans who want to believe we're all a lot dumber than we are.

To be fair, it did sound a lot better than "Well, if Axl Jr. would ever finish the disc, neither of us would have to worry about this."

This is what one of Jari's fans has posted on his page: Give us your bank account data and we will shove up more money your ass than you can count, I promise!

I still think he should fake his own death to break free from his contract. Lol.

I thought it was dripping in forced diplomacy more than patronizing. NB gains nothing from explaining point-by-point why Jari was wrong or provided incomplete information (or posting Glenn's awesome response), so I read it as an attempt to get people to stop spamming their Facebook without having to throw Jari under the bus

That's not really fair. Jari was a main writer in Ensiferum in the late 90's all the way to 2004, actually. Wintersun was originally supposed to be a solo album only and he put a band together around it when he got fired from Ensiferum.
Fair enough. But even still, 8 years is perhaps a bit long between your debut and your second release.

To be fair, it did sound a lot better than "Well, if Axl Jr. would ever finish the disc, neither of us would have to worry about this."
LOL

Perfectionism has its place, but I feel like his refusal to go to outside studios to record this is what's sticking this up, not what the label is doing. It's fucking Finland, there have to be some studios in the vicinity that can handle big symphonic stuff like Wintersun, otherwise, how would anybody else ever get it done? It's too bad, because I love Wintersun, but he might have to settle for 90% of what he wants if anybody's going to hear this at all.

I thought it was dripping in forced diplomacy more than patronizing. NB gains nothing from explaining point-by-point why Jari was wrong or provided incomplete information (or posting Glenn's awesome response), so I read it as an attempt to get people to stop spamming their Facebook without having to throw Jari under the bus

I mostly agree. Given the tone of the FB post I thought the response was pretty well done. Clearly a bit strained, but successful in non-return-fire-ness.

The sad thing is that Time II is pretty much done. It was ready for mixing/mastering before Jari decided he needed to re-record the rhythm guitars.

For all of the time that it's taken him to come up with these two rants, he could have soundproofed his apartment and written, recorded, mixed, mastered, and released Time II, Time III, and Time IV..

I don't even want to copypasta the long rant he just posted, but it's fucking embarrassing.
If he used his creative writing to fund his new studio, he'd be all set, especially if he could find someone to pay per word. I think my favorite part is where he admits the guitars and production in general sound like shit on Time I, but that it's the equipment's fault.

Someone needs to take his Facebook account away, get him his job at the post office back, and tell him to revisit Wintersun in another five years. I feel for the guy, but he has lost the plot.

I don't Facebook, and I haven't even heard Wintersun so I'm mostly just spectating here, but...why doesn't NB just drop this guy for being such an unassailable asshat? Is it because they "lose" in the PR fight or something?

I was especially amused by the way Jari's sycophants read his rant and interpreted it as "Jari can't do crowdfunding to build a studio because Nuclear Blast would take half". What he actually said was that he can't do crowdfunding and offer a new album as a perk because Nuclear Blast would take a large chunk of the money that was crowdfunded.

Because, yeah. He signed a deal with Nuclear Blast that gives them the rights to his albums for distribution, so they're not just going to let him do whatever he feels like and release albums on his own.

The internet apparently doesn't understand how contracts work, so the internet keeps starting stupid petitions in support of Jari vs the evil Nuclear Blast. :)

I don't Facebook, and I haven't even heard Wintersun so I'm mostly just spectating here, but...why doesn't NB just drop this guy for being such an unassailable asshat? Is it because they "lose" in the PR fight or something?
When he finally does get around to releasing music, it moves units pretty well (Time I sold 4000 units first week in fall of 2012). They've also invested a decent amount in him over the years so I imagine there's a feeling of not wanting to give up and lose that investment.

According to metalsucks, this blog is what possibly prompted his latest posting. It's funny as hell:

http://lairofthebastard.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/jari-maenpaa-his-stupid-fucking-face.html?m=1

"Hell, Eric Adams (I remind you, the singer for fucking MANOWAR) works a day job. You do not get to act like you are above Manowar. You do not get to pretend that you or your band is or has ever been more popular or important than Manowar. That's just fucking astounding, you want to be a rockstar, seemingly blissfully unware that you simply will not ever be one in the genre you're in."