Jazz Bass Pickups? What do you like?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I keep switching back and forth between the stock Fender single coils and the Dimarzio Model J's in my Jazz Bass.

The Model J's are thicker in the low mids and have more output, but I can't tell if they lack definition sometimes. The stock single coils have the clarity, but can sound thin.

What are your preferred pickups in a Jazz Bass?

I have a '75 reissue, it came with '75 reissue pickups. To me they always sounded too hyped in the low and top end. Recently changed them for '62 reissues and I must say it's a hell of an improvement! The output is slightly lower but responds a lot better to more growling sounds, probably because the low end is more controlled. The '75 pickups are probably great for funky stuff though...

I'm in love with my J-Bass, which just has American Standard pickups in it. I just run both pickups full tilt and turn the tone knob down a bit, and the tone sits just right.

I did put Fralin pickups in my P-Bass, and they made a huge improvement - I'd imagine they'd SMOKE in a J-Bass. The Fralins are based on the 60's-era Fender pickups so they're probably similar to the '62 pickups mention above.

One thing you want to pay attention to is how the pickups are wound. Overwound pickups will be louder with more lows, but they generally lack midrange and can sound a bit darker (like your DiMarzios). A more standard winding will bring back that high/mid clarity at the expense of some lows and output (but I personally think this sounds better).

The cool thing about the Fralin pickups is that you can specify what kind of winding you want - if you give them a call you can talk to Lindy Fralin himself.

Great input, guys. Thanks.

I just run both pickups full tilt and turn the tone knob down a bit, and the tone sits just right.

Hhhmm. Maybe I just need to find the "sweet spot" on the tone control. With everything full up and the stock pickups, the bass is poking through the mix too much. I'll try backing off the tone knob a bit and see if that takes the edge off enough to blend better.

Cheers.

I usually have my neck pickup open all the way and my bridge pickup open 2/3, that way it sounds a bit rounder to me. I also have my Jazz bass modded with an S-1 switch, which allows you to switch both pickups in series, also giving a rounder, more P-bass like tone. It's a pretty easy mod and gives you some new options sound wise, think I payed 15 euros for it:)