Votes: 6 35.3%
  • It's God's Gift to Mankind

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Bomb Dixieland.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Ich bevorzuge Techhhhnoo

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
yeah i agree with don. i.e. these days there's a lot of electronic music with jazz, i like that style (i'll drop some names if i remember them again)
and a guy like john zorn even made metal jazz.

I once got caught in a place that had this fusion jazz band playing (not sure it's called that in English), it was during the much heralded Copenhagen Jazz Festival, it was horrible, worst thing I ever heard, but people kept trying to convince me, it was supposed to sound like that, like 500 dying cats or sth.

Seriously, I dunno much about jazz and I've never had any urge to change that.

lisa and don i'm sure you're right, but>>>>>

Allan said:
Seriously, I dunno much about jazz and I've never had any urge to change that.
and the few things i've heard made me so bloody nervous!:yell:

yeah and i don't disagree with that either. sure there are some genres which make me nervous, like i'm personally not that big fan from john zorn. but there are some other things i really like. (i'm having tunes in my head, but the cd's are somewhere else)

siderea said:
metal jazz.
Ephel Duath ?
Meshuggah ?

I heard this massive jazz version of Everything in its right place from Radiohead (wasnt sure if it was them performing, cos there were no voices) on the radio yesterday. It started off shite, but later on the musicians got warmed up and played to quality standards. It really amazed me, that.

Imo, jazz is like "whatever you do, just follow the pattern and everything is allowed". It's got so much freedom in it, but at times i feel its a bit too much fumbling music if u catch my drift. But there's so much sidetracks to jazz, u cant put it down to one thing.

i do like jazz, but i couldnt listen to it all the time, snake davis is a great musician, my mums really into his work :lol: (go mum!) but if we are talking about alternatives to our ordinary music tastes, i have to say classical music tickles me fancy, want to learn more about it ..... in fact was watching a really interesting documentary on mozart last night - ooo he was a reble that man!!!

I don't know a think about Jazz. But there is a jazzcafé in Ghent (Damberd) and we used to go there when we were still studying. Very relaxing.
And I like Wizards of Ooze.(Belgian band). Acid Jazz. Canteloop-US3. Reminds me of the Gentse Feesten -Charlatan...

My favorite jazz is Dixieland and Big Band Swing. I play clarinet with groups like that every now and then. Duke Ellington had some hot tunes. I'm not really into smooth jazz or stuff that is much akin to elevator music. I played guitar in my high school's jazz band, although every time I did solos it sounded like blues, rock or metal...when I was fourteen, I didn't realize fingertapping wasn't appropriate in jazz. :p

i can't stand jazz, honestly. though it's technically very diverse and complex, it still sounds like a wagonload of bullshit to me. but i really admire the musicians for their skills, if they only would use them for proper music...

VultureCulture said:
i can't stand jazz, honestly. though it's technically very diverse and complex, it still sounds like a wagonload of bullshit to me. but i really admire the musicians for their skills, if they only would use them for proper music...

let me tell you jazz influences musicians of all genres more than you think in ways you wouldnt know.
ever heard paul young's bassist pino palladino?
directly inspired by the legendary bass genius jaco pastorius (rip)
the same can be said for paul simons bassist on gracelands, Bakithi Kumalo
again directly influenced by jaco.
he incorporated jaco's influence into the african sound, just amazing if you listen to it.
id advise anyone interested in getting into jazz to listen to the guitarist pat metheny's album "bright size life", this shows improvisation doesnt neccesarily have to sound like dissonant noise.
others id recommend are jaco pastorius' debut purely for the bass mastery in itself, plus weather eports "heavy weather" album.
on the subject of improvisation id recommend anything by charlie parker and "giant steps" by the legendary john coltrane.