JCM 900 + which cab for metal?

Yeah, I have a 900. I like the tone of it for some things, old school metal or heavy rock...and I love the clean and slightly pushed sounds it can get especially - but it can not do the super tight modern metal sound very well.
At least that is my experience. I think that is why everybody slams it...but I actually think it's a really cool amp if you're using it for the right music.

And hey Marcus - did I tell you that I am a new Mesa fanboy? I'm loving my new Dual Rectifier! (I'm done with 5150's).

I have used it with a cab tonnes of times in recording and live, but don't own one. I've used a 1960s cab, which did give me fairly high gain, nice, wild sound (check here for the results - www.myspace.com/giantsfall) but not the one I'm looking for.

My budget is around £350-400

I think I'll check out the impulse response software and see what cab works, one thing I think I'll be going with is V30s. An interesting idea from preampdude there with the 75s and V30s. I am able to build my own cab but I'm not great with woodwork so it would look awful!

If worse comes to worse I will be forced to sell the 900 and buy a 5150... Any thoughts?

FIFTY ONE FUCKING FIFTY.

NOW.

Ditch that thing NOW and grab the proclaimed holy grail of all metal amps!

5150!!!!!!!!! :kickass:

Eh, it's not so much added gain, as different gain structure, and a greater difference between the two channels. That said, most people seem to prefer the tone of the 5150/6505, so yeah, that'd be my vote! (but I've heard some good fucking clips of the 5150II/6505+, I have to say)

Eh, it's not so much added gain, as different gain structure, and a greater difference between the two channels. That said, most people seem to prefer the tone of the 5150/6505, so yeah, that'd be my vote! (but I've heard some good fucking clips of the 5150II/6505+, I have to say)

Not bashing on the 6505+ at all, still an epic godly muhfuck'n amp! I'd only buy the 5150 II for the footswitchable crunch though :D

I really like the idea of having different EQ for my rhythm and lead sounds, which is why I'm going for the +. I played one in a shop a couple of days ago and it sounded amazing, and even though I've heard people still prefer the regular ones a tad, it basically seems like the differences in tone are pretty small because both are totally awesome anyway.