Marshall jcm 900 cab, v30s or no?

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
hey guys, I just got a marshall jcm 900 cab as payment for a recording. I noticed that it says that it is 280 watts on the back. this is surprising to me as all the other 1960 slant cabs I have seen are 300 watts and have the 75 watt celestions. I was gonna unscrew the back but there are alot of screws, and I am lazy lol

It seems that this cab has a much wider "sweet spot" in front of the speakers than the 1960a cab that I used to have. Unfortunately I dont have the other one to compare them sound wise.

I forgot how much I like Marshall 4 x 12 cabs after I traded my old one. say what you will, but there is nothing like sticking your face in front of a marshall cab blaring heavy riffs \m/ I prefer recording with my mesa os, but the marshalls have a nice flavour to them.

Also, if you don't have one already, definitely get a phillips head drill bit, makes these things much easier :D

well, the dust caps is a bit larger than the ones on the v30s in the mesa cab, but it says 280 watts on the back of the cab. 280 watts mono, 140 watts per side stereo. The It says jcm 900 1960 on the front of the cab.

I guess I`ll have to break out the electric drill and take the back off the goddamned thing :lol: Id rather be living in teh riffz, but I cant help this curiosity!

You have celestion 70 watt G12M70's, really nice speakers, a billion times nicer than the 75 watt shite. I've got one in my 1986 30 watt combo and it really sounds good nearly a quarter of a century later from buying it brand new.

well, the dust caps is a bit larger than the ones on the v30s in the mesa cab, but it says 280 watts on the back of the cab. 280 watts mono, 140 watts per side stereo. The It says jcm 900 1960 on the front of the cab.

I guess I`ll have to break out the electric drill and take the back off the goddamned thing :lol: Id rather be living in teh riffz, but I cant help this curiosity!

AFAIK Marshall rated the V30s in their cabs at 70W rather than 60W so it may be them inside... But you do take a peek and let us know for sure :headbang: