Jeff Martin Tour

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Seen this Blitzy?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]JEFF MARTIN & THE TORONTO TABLA ENSEMBLE TOURING AUSTRALIA [/SIZE][/FONT]
JEFF MARTIN IS BACK!

Jeff Martin is back, with a tour sure to excite all of his Australian fans! And the good news is that the tour will hit cities nationwide, with shows in Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane. Tickets on sale next Friday 11 August. Be quick.

http://www.frontiertouring.com.au/default.aspx

JEFF MARTIN IS BACK

Yes, it’s true! After his highly successful recent Australian Tour, Jeff Martin will return downunder to treat fans nationwide to an enthralling musical experience. And we’ve decided to let the great man himself do the talking…

My dear friends,

Thankfully, the time has come once again to tour the great land of Oz. During past "Tea Party" tours I have been witness to the growing appreciation of world music elements that were central to the magic created by Jeff Burrows, Stuart Chatwood and myself. In this time...unfortunately, we are unable to come together to reinvent those moments.

However, the clouds have parted and an artistic friendship; which has been simmering for ten years, has now been put on the front burner.

Ritesh Das, one of the foremost tabla players in the world, has been my co-conspirator in bringing world music to the rock and roll front line.

It is a dream come true to be able to announce that I will be touring in Australia in early September with Ritesh and his Toronto Tabla Ensemble.

What this means musically and artistically is a reinvention and re-evaluation of the songs I have written past and present, with a tangent toward the future. It will be a return to the influences that have seduced me since the beginning.

The Toronto Tabla Ensemble is an ever shifting aural experience which has, in its past, fused with great success; music from the west and the east.

I anticipate that the concerts we will perform will achieve no less in interpreting the music of "The Tea Party" and my new record "Exile and the Kingdom".

I look forward to seeing you all at the shows.

Sincerely,
Jeff Martin

Popular local musician Rob Sawyer will be Jeff’s special guest on this tour.

Tickets for these shows go on sale next FRIDAY 11 AUGUST.
But be quick. Jeff’s tours always sell-out!

JEFF MARTIN & THE TORONTO TABLA ENSEMBLE
AUSTRALIAN TOUR DATES
Friday 1 September
Metropolis, Fremantle
www.heatseeker.com.au | 78’s Perth 08 9332 1498
Mills Fremantle 08 9335 1945 | Beat Karrinyup 08 9446 5839
Planet Mt Lawley 08 9328 7464

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday 3 September HQ, Adelaide
www.venuetix.com.au 08 8225 8888
CIB Ticketing 08 8231 0824

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday 4 September
Prince of Wales, Melbourne
www.princebandroom.com.au 03 9536 1177
Greville Records 03 9510 3012 | Missing Link 03 9670 8208
Polyester 03 9419 5137

Thursday 7 September
The Enmore Theatre, Sydney
www.ticketek.com.au 132 849
Enmore Box Office

Friday 8 September
The Great Northern Hotel, Byron Bay
www.byronbayentertainment.com.au
The Great Northern 02 6685 6454 | ABC Shop Ballina
Music Bizarre Lismore | Oztix 1300 762 545

Sunday 10 September
The Tivoli, Brisbane
www.ticketek.com.au 132 849
www.rockinghorse.net 07 3229 5360
www.skinnysmusic.com.au 07 3229 2389
The Tivoli 07 3852 1711

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tis' strange. He did two accoustic shows in Melb at the end of July...I guess this is a more full scale tour. Nice, because I was pissed that the last shows had sold out before I even heard about them. This will be better anyway. The Prince Of Wales though? Hmm.

Holy shit! That was one of the best gigs of my life! What a sound, and an incredible setlist. Tea Party fans will blow when they see this:

Silence
Psychopomp
Requiem
Butterfly
Daystar
Shadows on the Mountainside
The Badger
I Love You
The Messenger
Inanna
White Water Siren
Lament
Black Snake Blues
World Is Calling/The Grand Bazaar
Oceans
The Kingdom
Halcyon Days/Sister Awake

Encore

Winter Solstice
Save me

Second Encore: (was a complete surprise, people had started to leave and all)

In Your eyes (Peter Gabriel cover)
Love the one your with

All The Edges Of Twilight songs were played with the original instruments as well, it sounded amazing. Also, most of the songs from his new solo album sounded heaps better live, probably all except The Kingdom, which lacked the backing vocals, but all was well. The best part was, going into it, I didn't know what stuff he would play or how he would tackle the older material, but after he came out and started Silence, I had no idea what would be next all night. His between song banter was awesome as well, gave lots of insight into where songs came from, what the deal was with his new solo album and leaving the band etc. Highlights for me were Inanna, which sounded perfect with the wacky instrument it was played on (forget the names of all those crazy things), Psychopomp which is a song I adore and it sounded great, and when they went from World Is Calling into The Grand Bazaar. Holy Shit. Awesome. :headbang:

If I could afford it, I would be going to the second Melb show tonight. Koich (and anyone else interested), you are foolish if you miss this tour. Brilliant.