JeffTD mixes...Justin Timberlake? Oh God Why...(Multi-cam drum vid)

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Hi folks! After letting Aaron Smith mix a Behemoth drum cover, I thought it was time to balance things up with something softer, so...why not covering a Justin Timberlake tune?

Ok, who am I kidding, we just did it for the sake of it and because we're all giggly and girly :tickled:

Anyway, because of the inherent gayness and Poppiness of the tune, asking Jeff Dunne of Arcana Recordings (JeffTD on here) to mix it was the obvious choice :D jokes aside, he did a TERRIFIC work and I'm very pleased with the result.

So, here it is!

And here's the drums-only audio part:

On this tune we chose a different snare to acheive more "spank", specifically a Tama Starclassic maple. Kit is DW with Sabian cymbals. The room in which we tracked was unfortunately VERY dry sounding, so Jeff had to work more to let the drums breathe properly.

Despite the tune being way more Pop than our tastes, I dig the groove, expecially at 2:35! Hope you guys like it too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
needs moar 60hz! nah just kidding. sounds great and the idea of doing a cover like that is interesting in itself. as seen with the last cover that drummer is flawless. good cover!
sounds very natural so I assume no samples were used?

needs moar 60hz! nah just kidding. sounds great and the idea of doing a cover like that is interesting in itself. as seen with the last cover that drummer is flawless. good cover!
sounds very natural so I assume no samples were used?

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure about it, I think a small amount of samples have been used on both kick and snare, but blended lightly. The room was very dry so he had to add Lexicon reverbs on some tracks. Kick was VERY dull sounding, but he managed to make it sound really good for the genre.

Only the hard hits on the snare were sampled augmented, but there are two samples and they make up the bulk of the body of the snare. Close mics are in there but primarily for ghost notes and stick definition to add realism. Kick is basically 100% sample (one or two, sub kick from original used though). Toms are all real. Went to a lot of effort to keep it all sound natural though, sample wise, so I guess it worked out well!

Very light use of a plate verb, most of the ambience is coming from room samples on the kick/snare. I'm not a huge fan of reverb on drums, would rather use room or room samples.