Jesper Strömblad has left In Flames

ModernIconoclast

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2009
:(

http://www.inflames.com/main.html

Just saw a post on their myspace, he's left "permanently". I recall hearing a while back that he had to leave a tour early/cancel because he's struggling with alcoholism, no doubt that has to do with him leaving. I know In Flames hasn't been at the top of their game the last few years and it seemed Jesper was saving his best riffs for Dimension Zero but they were one of the first metal bands I got into and Jesper was a huge inspiration for me as a guitarist. 'Tis a sad day indeed.

Oh fuck. Didn't see that one coming. Jesper has had more influence on my music and playing than anyone else. I wonder what this will mean for IF, and how it will affect their music.

Now Playing: Whoracle :headbang:

now playing pinball map
given march wasnt the first time he had to duck out due to booze im not majorly surprised although it is a shame

Damnit. Knew it was going to happen deep down tho, when I met the guys after their gig a couple of months ago they were very reluctant to discuss Jesper.

My worry is that they will loose their melodic and folky edge now, which is always what attracted me to the band.

Damn. terrible news. Really sad, like when Lindgren and Lopez left Opeth, and I´m still overcoming the normann brothers leaving Katatonia, those guys (jesper, the opeth and Kata guys) all meant so much to the sound and feel of their bands, it´s really shameful to see such important musicians steering away from the bands they helped shape

Thats too bad. I rarely seen a guitar couple to get along so well musically speaking.
I have never managed to meet him in person, although we opened for In Flames a gig once. Well, good luck in the future.

Sucks pretty bad.

A lot of the newer In Flames stuff isn't doing much for me now anyway.

+1, though the older In Flames is some of my favourite music and wouldn't have been the same without Jesper.

I hope he gets better the soonest possible.

$10 says he's left In Flames with 50% conritbuting to the alcomahole and 50% giving him an excuse to ditch the shit they've been writing for the last 8 or so years in order to do something better?

@ DANiMALxMD :
you_got_owned_yel.gif

He was being sarcastic you turds :lol:

In Flames have been dead to me for a decade now anyway. Jesper or not, who cares. Give him a chance to overcome his addiction (it's not a disease) and maybe he'll settle back into some side projects that actually express decent musical ideas.

He was being sarcastic you turds :lol:

In Flames have been dead to me for a decade now anyway. Jesper or not, who cares. Give him a chance to overcome his addiction (it's not a disease) and maybe he'll settle back into some side projects that actually express decent musical ideas.

+1
From Reroute onwards, I have totally lost interest in this band. Fuckin' loved them till that point. Highlight for me was seeing them on the Metal Odyessy tour in London when they were supporting Clayman. Excellent performance!
Got to meet Bjorn and Jesper afterwards, had a beer with them and got autographs and picks. Very humble and down to earth guys. Hope he overcomes his addiction.
Off topic a bit, but why is alcoholism referred to as a disease in the USA? Never understood that....:loco: