J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Jesu – Conqueror
Hydrahead Records – HH666-126 - February 20, 2007
By Wayward_Son

JESU_conq_cover.jpg

This writer will forgo the introduction of Jesu, naturally assuming that you, Faithful Reader, are already aware of the classic back catalogue of Justin Broadrick, as well as Jesu’s marvelous beginnings.

Now if pop-influenced, lighthearted, droning, ambient songs happens to not be your flavor, Faithful Reader, this writer advises you to leave this review now and leave the rest of us to ponder what has become of Justin ‘Godflesh’ Broadrick and his musical vision.

Now that the Children of Bodom fans are gone, this writer can tell you if Conqueror is worth your precious time, or if you should pass this one by. Although, this writer is assuming that those of you who enjoyed Silver, most likely already have this album. If you do not, make it a priority. Certainly the most ear-friendly release from Jesu yet, Conqueror is something even your mother might enjoy.

Once again, Jesu brings us introspective music that will no doubt leave a mark, good or bad. Embracing the more upbeat style of Silver and expanding upon it, Broadrick and company deliver eight songs fully baring their hearts on their collective sleeves. The songs are abundantly warm and lush in sound. The addition of a live drummer has given Jesu a stronger, fuller presence. Synths and guitars work perfectly together in keeping with the uplifting emotions of Conqueror, though at times one may take become more dominant. Broadrick outdid himself on the mix. Every note and instrument is crystal clear at any given moment.

Broadrick’s vocals play a much more pronounced role in Jesu’s music on Conqueror. This writer cannot deny that at times, his vocals work to perfection, such as on ‘Stanlow’ and ‘Transfigure’. There are moments when his singing can grate on sensitive and picky ears. ‘Old Year’ and the lackluster ‘Brighteyes’ are two examples. All vocal imperfections can almost be forgiven, because the lyrics, while cryptic, honestly speak volumes.

Read carefully, Faithful Reader, as here comes the rub. Conqueror is quite easily the worst Jesu release to date. Granted, the worst from Jesu is still worth investigating. Especially since Conqueror does contain some of the band’s best songs. 'Stanlow' is nothing short of mesmerizing and is quite handily the best song here. ‘Transfigure’, ‘Medicine’, and ‘Mother Earth’ are all great tracks as well. Unfortunately, the rest of Conqueror does not hold up the standards of those four songs. ‘Old Year’ is quite simply annoying. ‘Brighteyes’ should have been left off the album. In other words, there is a considerable lack of consistency between songs. While Conqueror is this writer’s least favorite release from Jesu, its purchase was necessary.

This writer knows there are those you trapped within the confines of only listening to and purchasing metal music, and also stuck behind your monitors. This writer hopes that many of you wish to escape those chains and simply go outside into the sun, stretch out your arms, close your eyes, and just feel.

Conqueror is your soundtrack.

Official Jesu Website
Official Hydrahead Website

This writer apologizes for the first non-review post being negative:

The term "Shoegazer" was specifically avoided so as not to taint the review with a term used by retarded, hipster morons.

Carry on.

It's actually my favorite release from them so far. I was initially dissapointed, but it became my favorite on the 3rd or 4th listen. More individuality between songs than the first full length.

Its a big disappointment, as the complexity and contrast of his previous Jesu works has been lost. It still has its moments, and it gets better with multiple listens.

Conqueror is quite easily the worst Jesu release to date. Granted, the worst from Jesu is still worth investigating.

My thoughts exactly. Coming off the high that is Silver, Conqueror feels like a disappointment, and a couple tracks I could take or leave, which is unusual for Jesu material. Nice review, J.R.

Shoegaze is actually the genre Jesu are most closely related with...

...and this album was a fucking letdown...Jesu should've quit after the s/t.

Silver is good, but merely an EP...I was taking into account only full-lengths in my assessment. So, perhaps JKB should have stopped after the EP...

Silver is good, but merely an EP...I was taking into account only full-lengths in my assessment. So, perhaps JKB should have stopped after the EP...

The very nature of the industry these days, means he will continue putting out albums: he has to, to keep touring, to stay on his label, and unless he wishes to find a full-time job slaving away in a cubicle.

How many absolutely worthless albums, books, movies, etc are made each year for these reasons?

But he has so much talent, and there are many redeeming moments of this album; so, I suppose I will grant him a free pass for this one.

Fair enough, but I mean, the guy IS fucking talented, he could start another project, he has "scene cred" with the Sunn and Hydra Head guys...I mean, c'mon.

Fair enough, but I mean, the guy IS fucking talented, he could start another project, he has "scene cred" with the Sunn and Hydra Head guys...I mean, c'mon.

True, true. He could get any musical adventure or side product, produced and released by some label. And since his works arent exactly at the top of the Billboard charts, perhaps it wouldnt matter what band name or label he is on.

But in general, this trend to release middling to derivative trash by most bands--including and especially the big established bands--is getting quite tiring.

What concerns me about this album is the loss of complexity. Its obviously intentional, and it doesnt work.

Indeed, it's going for a more pop sound, and, while I guess it is a somewhat logical progression, I can't say I enjoy it. Crippling emotion forever.