Jim Fogarty should really be famous.

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
He engineered Choirs of the Eye and Bath/LYBM. Notice the tremendous improvement in sound from B/LYBM and Choirs. He keeps getting better, and this he all does with a small studio without much expensive gear.

Fucking record your album with this guy, laud him in public, and make it so that he can afford more gear so he can make even more incredible recordings.

COTE, Bath and LYBM all sound great, COTE is better but the other two still really appeal to me (even though there is a slight lower quality to them, the general sounds are great). I think he makes the music you guys write come to life in the right ways, everything sounds appropriate and feels right. I would gladly kidnap him and his studio and threaten him with pointy things until he worked for me.

That mightn't help him afford more gear though...

to be honest, I didn't really think the earlier recordings were anything special, but COTE sounds really really good. he really got some good sounds and I especially like the mix.

How was the first album done? I must say, i rather dislike the production on that one, in fact i dont even listen to it because it annoys me!

Maybe one day i'll 'remaster' them for myself so that i find them listenable, because the songs themselves are pretty good.

Demonspell: I'm not sure if he's worked with other bands you would've heard of....nothing comes to mind anyways

Yayo: The first album was recorded at the (minimal) college recording studio, with incredibly shitty mics. It was mixed at Zing (where Jim works) by Adam Dutkiewicz (who is one of the guitarists in KillSwitch Engage), but there's only so much you can do in mixing....

the first one is 8-track, which means that only 2 drum mikes were used, and every track was shared with several instruments in order to get a layered sound. Recorded basically mashing everything we could into 8 tracks, not following any real methods of engineering because we never thought it would get released. It was basically the first time I ever got to play with something that did more than record 4 tracks on a cassette. I think we still did use the Karoake machine mic.

Well you did well considering, I could not survive with 8 tracks *remembers horrors of recording on one*. Especially drums, in fact I've never had a chance to properly record drums (outside of back in school years ago, on tape 4 track), will happen soon though, going to be fun fun.

But yeh, overall the production just feels a bit empty, lacks any warmth. At least it's clear and well played though :)