Kayo Dot/MotW tunings

wankerness

Dec 3, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
What tuning does Kayo Dot use on Choirs of the Eye? I haven't seen mention of that anywhere. Some songs seem to go down to C, and others only C#. Are they like MotW in that they use lots of different tunings?

It would be nice to know once and for all what songs use what tuning so these topics don't keep getting created. The tuning in the back of the liner notes on bath/lybm applies to the interludes, right? Here's a tracklist of the MotW albums with what has been said on the forum (and the liner notes, if that chord is actually the tuning of the interludes) so far, and I can't guarantee accuracy on all of it:

My Fruit Psychobells:
Ferocious Weights - DADGBE
A Conception Pathetic - C?????
Undine and Underwater Flowers - EADGBE
The Ocean, the Kingdom and the Temptation - B?????
Pondering a Wall - B?????
Catharsis of Sea-Sleep and Dreaming Shrines - B E A G B E
Blight of River-Systems - CADGBE

Bath:
The Blue Ghost/Shedding Qlipoth - D F# D F# C# E
They Aren't All Beautifull - sharp or flat in there somewhere
Heaven and Weak
(Interlude 1) - DF#DF#C#E
The Ferryman - EADGBE
Marid's Gift of Art
Girl with a Watering Can - DADGBE
Birth Pains of Astral Projection - DADGBE
(Interlude 2) - DF#DF#C#E
Geography

LYBM:
Stones of October's Sobbing - D F# D F# C# E
Gleam in Ranks - CADGBE
Bizarre Flower/A Violent Mist - DADGBE
(Interlude 3) - DF#DF#C#E
The Curve that to an Angle Turn'd - CADGBE
Sleep is a Curse - EADGBE
Riseth He, the Numberless (Part 1) - DADGBE
Riseth He, the Numberless (Part 2) - DADGBE
(Interlude 4) - DF#DF#C#E
Monstrously Low Tide
Secret Song - DF#DF#C#E

Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

The Antique - B A C G C Eb

Greg mentioned two other tunings in one thread, but not whether they'd actually been used on the albums (DADFCE and EGDGBflatE). Have they been?

I'll edit this first post with any additional info given in this thread so there's a clear reference for any more stupid noobs like myself who want to know :D

And in other news, I just tried ordering the reissues from the info given in the blog on your myspace, I'm excited about being able to actually read the lyrics on the second page of "riseth he the numberless." :)

EDIT: 2009, found mention of Catharsis tuning in some other thread, also confirmation of the tuning on a few other random Bath/LYBM ones, still wondering about Kayo dot Tunings!

EDIT AGAIN: Added "The Antique" tuning.

Desertsands said:
Are you planning any more motW/KD powertabs in future? Just wondering.

A friend of mine's pretty far along on "girl with a watering can," I was trying to do some of the interludes today but the panning (which isn't normal l/r, they overlap) makes it REALLY hard. I might try struggling through those and "blue ghost" sometime though.

FuSoYa said:
i thought maybe it'd be cool to do some video guitar lessons and post on youtube for stuff like this? doing the tab is such a pain in the ass

I'd like that very much, but I'm not asking for how to play songs, just what tunings they're in :D

FuSoYa said:
i thought maybe it'd be cool to do some video guitar lessons and post on youtube for stuff like this? doing the tab is such a pain in the ass

Hi, I haven't posted here before now, although I have talked to you a couple times on AIM (forty two zaphod, hi!); but I just had to come out of the shadows and say this is an awesome idea. Really awesome.

FuSoYa said:

Oh yes yes yes yes yes!:kickass: :headbang: :worship: :cry:

Oh my god, excellent work! Hearing the beginning of the part after the intro almost made me cream my pants... I need to hear the original immediately! Heck, I need to hear the whole Bath album. Bless you maudlin of the Well for creating the greatest music ever!

I think that the tuning for the antique is B A C G C E. Thats how i play it and it seems to match the fingerings toby uses in a live performance i saw on you tube.

Once your in that tuning it's not too difficult. Try striking some notes in a power chord fingering on the top three strings and you should be able to recognize the chords played in the middle of the song. Just try feeling around and it shoudn't be too difficult.

I actually asked Greg about his use of the 7 string, a few months ago on another forum.

In his actual words "For example, in Kayo Dot's "The Antique" the guitars are tuned BACGCEb and so my 7 string was just tuned to BBACGCEb and I didn't use the 7th string alot except for accenting the open B or for single note clean lines"

So hope this helps in the quest for finding out all the tunings used over the years.

is The Curve that to an Angle Turn'd - CADGBE the absolute right tuning? I'm having difficulty figuring out this song :(. Specifically, once it starts getting heavy in the beginning I can't seem to find the right chords. I'd imagine it would be fairly simple, but it sounds like there are a whole lot of overtones to the riff that I'm unable to find.