JoBus comment made this forum live up a bit!

Arg_Hamster

Not quite done yet...
May 1, 2003
Sverige för fan
Visit site
Bush comment on downloading seem to have polarized people and now people are discussing, explaining how they see things and sometimes just throwing shit at eachother...

This is great, forums need ths stuff! Thanks JoBu, you made us stop talking about underwear and actually fighting over the band we love!

I don´t agree with everything JoBu says but I´m not trying to make a living in the music business. He got a question and answered it. I belive most of the downloaded songs wouldn´t have been bought anyway! How many of you have one song with Britney, a few with N.W.A, maybe an old NKOTB one (for fun) :ill: and those Genesis ones and so on. Can you look at your mp3:s and say "If I hadn´t downloaded these I would have bought them on CD!"

What about people who downloads a full album from DC and maybe burns it to a CD to have in the car, and maybe a couple for their friends? If they give them to their friends it´s actually a crime (many say the moral line was passed way back when they first downloaded the songs). But even here I doubt that this would affect sales if it didn´t exist. CD´s are overpriced and people download the full top 40 albums (did I hear the word "hamstering") just so they can have something to listen to in the background, not because of the fantastic songs they contain.

Unfortunatly this "hamstering" also affects the smaller bands and artists, that I like (ThraX, SYL, Opeth, The Haunted) and so on, they NEED their albums to sell if they want to make some money. Compared to big acts their tours cost more since they are not sponsored by fucking Volkswagen or Pepsi or have SONY to back them up.

On the other hand... many people look for special editions and B-sides on DC and so on. I´m one of them... ("Grunt & click" fucking rules), I don´t want to sit on E-bay or buy expensive import-CD´s just to get the B-sides. This makes me a thief? YES! At least until ThraX release the "box". I will buy that and fully enjoy its CD´s. Then I can listen to "Grunt & click", "Givin the horns" and hopefully a live CD and read the booklet about the songs and what the band thinks of them and why they didn´t end up on this or that album, themes of albumcovers, peronal notes and all the stuff we fanboys like! :Spin:

The bottom line is, whatever you think about JoBu´s opinoins I´m glad he said them.

Hope my so-so english didn´t confuse you too much. My next thread will be "What do you think the members of AnthraX wearing?"

It's just fun. He said a few sentences in a fanzine interview and people go ape. :)
I agree with what he said, btw.