Joel Gregoire's guitar?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I know that some of Stride visits this forum.

So if they, or anybody else knows, can answer which guitar Joel Gregoire uses? Or... guitars. I'm looking into a new guitar [My '62 Jaguar Reissue just doesn't do metal], and I can't decide if I want to go Schechter, ESP, Ibanez... Les Paul... or what. So just curious what he plays. I love the sound.

Based on the pictures of them opening for Bon Jovi it looks like he's playing a Robin guitar in those shots. I didn't know Robin was still around, cool guitars.

Look at all the guitar players that use ESP, Ibanez, and one of the up and coming makers is Caparison played by the members of Evergrey, Freak Kitchen, Nocturnal Rites, and T Youngblood has one i think. Or you could get a Rusty Cooley "Conklin" if you have the $$$$$$$$$

Pyramaze51 said:
Look at all the guitar players that use ESP, Ibanez, and one of the up and coming makers is Caparison played by the members of Evergrey, Freak Kitchen, Nocturnal Rites, and T Youngblood has one i think. Or you could get a Rusty Cooley "Conklin" if you have the $$$$$$$$$

Thom's playing ESP. Caparisons are nice, but man, are they expensive in the US. For the best quality/price ratio among higher-end guitars, I'd recommend Jackson, Dean, Hamer, and Zion. ESP still makes good stuff, but the prices are a tad inflated, in my mind.

For mid-range ($500 to $1000), the Schecters are hard to beat - much more impressive than ESP's LTD line. All but a few of those I've played have had fretting issues, and the Schecter frets are usually very good. Some of the Ibanez stuff in that range is pretty decent, too.

Caparison is extremely overrated imo. Only worshipped because people's idols use 'em. Jackson used to be top notch before Fender bought them out around '01. Now you're better off with Schecter, ESP, or Jackson used. Zion are really nice.

Thank you. I was told to avoid Jackson's not because of their quality, but because of my musical tastes. Basically, that Jackson's cannot play the cleaner metal sounds. They are great for what they do though.

Kenneth R. said:
Caparison is extremely overrated imo. Only worshipped because people's idols use 'em. Jackson used to be top notch before Fender bought them out around '01. Now you're better off with Schecter, ESP, or Jackson used. Zion are really nice.

I don't think Jackson's quite as high as it used to be, but they're still better values than a lot of other stuff out there. From about '98 to '02, the guitars are monsterously good.

Cheiron said:
Thank you. I was told to avoid Jackson's not because of their quality, but because of my musical tastes. Basically, that Jackson's cannot play the cleaner metal sounds. They are great for what they do though.

That's bull. Most Jacksons come stock with the Duncan JB/'59 pairing (or the Classic Stack singles) and are very versitile tonally. I use my '80s Dinky with a JB/Lil '59 pairing for my cover band, and it'll do pretty much anything I need it to. I've seen guys doing everything from black metal to country using them, and getting good tones.

eaeolian said:
I don't think Jackson's quite as high as it used to be, but they're still better values than a lot of other stuff out there. From about '98 to '02, the guitars are monsterously good.
this is totally true. and as for metal... you can't get better than a Jackson really. For cleaner tones, there are of course PRS, and my friend plays a wicked Zion custom w/ piezo.

I don't know what I'm going to do. So hard to choose really. Maybe I can't go wrong as long as I stick with better ones. Heck.. Orphaned Land uses the PRS. I think I'll end up messing around with the mid-range Schecter and Jacksons on a nice tube amp and see which feels best.

I need to buy a new amp too.. so probably going with a $400-$600 tube amp. Not sure which model. I love Marshall amps, but a little too pricey. Anyhow thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

Kenneth R. said:
buy used amps! they sound exactly the same (if in good condition) and cost much less ;)

Generally true. You're risking that you don't know what sort of abuse they've been through, but most quality amps are fairly hard to kill. FOr that price range, I'd say look for a used 5150, since they sound good and they go relatively cheap...

Ibanez rgt42dx, i highly recommend it. Look in any american music supply magazine. Its listed as about a 950.00$ guitar and theyre having a closeout sale for 459.00$ Its worth every penny.