Joey..What is it about Cubase?!

JeffEstrada

Ascend Recordings
Dec 16, 2010
Joey, you seem to have a really strong opinion about cubase. In my personal opinion, Reaper is a great DAW, and it does most of what other DAW's do. What am I missing? What is it about Cubase?

I would guess it's just the familiarity with the software, that's all... He has used Cubendo since forever and knows it inside out. That is one of the main reasons he switched back from PTHD, because his working pace is really intense (and also the PT rig was crashing all the time for him and apparently the synth stuff was really lacking on PT). He also said at Sneap forum at one point that he did try out Reaper, and really liked it but I guess there was some reason why he didn't switch camps. All it needs is a one major missing feature he uses to not use it, you know?

http://audiogeekzine.com/2010/07/exclusive-interview-with-music-producer-joey-sturgis/

Anssi pretty much nailed it IMO. I was myself a Cubase SX3 user (when I started recording stuff/toying around maybe 4-5 years ago) and learned it pretty well after using it for so long. When I was studying in recording, they gave us a Fast Track Pro + Pro Tools M-Powered 8. I already had a Fast Track Ultra so I sold the Pro and kept playing with Pro Tools. Finally sold it with the Fast Track (when I needed money to get back in school after my recording school was done) and bought Reaper 3 - damn, it was cheap and I wasn't going to stop recording stuff! I've used Reaper 3 for a good time before switching back and buy Cubase 5. Why? Because all that time I kept switching around DAWs, I always continued to like Cubase, that DAW I knew so well :p Now I use Cubase as my main system... Always have Reaper as a fallback on lighter systems (my old laptops, etc.), but I can't lie, I just love Cubase... And I really rely on MIDI, Cubase is so perfect for this.

Yep. In short, maybe reaper or protools or audacity or my iPhone voice recorder app are better, but why go to the trouble to learn all the new hotkeys etc when you're happy :D
I'm the same way at work, we got these awesome registers but I dont wanna learn to use them (I used the old ones for 4 years)!!! -,-

In my studio, we pretty much use the shit out of slip editing, multi-event edits, and some other tweaked out macro stuff. Reaper might be able to handle the features I need, but I haven't checked it out in a while. Frankly, it wouldn't matter much if it could or not, because I've got cubase down to a science and there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.