Johan DeFaralla

Mar 13, 2005
Search function would come in handy here but...

I've listened to all the albums backwards (chronologically i mean :Smug: ) and Morningrise is my new favourite. Partly because of Johan's bass playing, which caught my attention like few bass players do.

So why did he leave the band after the stellar performance? Hogging Mikael's spotlight? :Spin:

It's not. I remember reading in an interview that Mike was upset with Johan because the bass sounded like another lead guitar. Although I don't really hate the bass on Morningrise, I don't think it would sound good in their newer stuff.

I really like the bass on morningrise, (I think this discussion has existed before) I have no idea who did it though... meh

i like morningrise's basslines too, but Mendez has a much smoother tone which i believe works better for the Opeth sound in general.

Forest of Åsatrú said:
It's not. I remember reading in an interview that Mike was upset with Johan because the bass sounded like another lead guitar. Although I don't really hate the bass on Morningrise, I don't think it would sound good in their newer stuff.

Tough to say that though. If you just think Morningrise basslines pasted onto their newer stuff it wouldn't sound good, but i'm sure Johan would have evolved with the rest and adapted. Would've been nice to hear his work on the later albums.

That's mad funny cause Akerfeldt stated he played most of the bass..well you know. He either contradicts himself or was upset because Joihan wanted him to compose stuff for the bass thatsounds like a thrid guitar. Ah..see sig...

Longinus said:
That's mad funny cause Akerfeldt stated he played most of the bass..well you know. He either contradicts himself or was upset because Joihan wanted him to compose stuff for the bass thatsounds like a thrid guitar. Ah..see sig...

are you sure of this? somwhere in the official site, maybe in the biography, where he speaks of the recording of MAYH, Mikeal says that for the album (MAYH) he played the bass, and that he is no genius when it comes to bass-playing. Now, I don't see how could a mediocre bass-player (his words) could come up with the amazing bass-work on Morningirse...
And at the time I read somewhere (Jim Raggi's LOFTP?) that Johan was kicked out basically because he was a pain in Mikeal's ass, with his "look at me, I can play bass awesomely!"
Now, I would have loved Johan were still in the band... all my respect to Martin's work, but Johan's playing was more inventive.

I am 100% he said in an interview that he did most of the basswork on their first two albums because Johan couldn't play them. Maybe he was just bitter though? i don't know but that is what he stated. The interview is also old, i think they did that interview shortly before MAYH was released.

Longinus said:
I am 100% he said in an interview that he did most of the basswork on their first two albums because Johan couldn't play them. Maybe he was just bitter though? i don't know but that is what he stated. The interview is also old, i think they did that interview shortly before MAYH was released.

well I can't find my "sources" so you may be right...
but I've seen bootleg videos where Johan pulls the songs out quite well...
but it doesn't really matter... I'd just love to have the bass in today's Opeth more prominent and progressive, if you get what I mean...

What does he do now? Work at Red Rooster?

Johan: Hello welcome to Red Rooster how may I help you.

Customer: umm Ill have some wings.....umm. and some fries......werent you in Opeth?

Johan: yea

Customer: There like famous now and shit.....

Johan: yea......

Rensei said:
I really don't like the bass on the first 2 albums.

I always found it too "surfer music-ish"... especially in The Twilight is My Robe. Kick ass, but out of place.