Johan Hegg's voice

MetalBanger

The Encounter
Apr 1, 2004
Belgium
Hi there, this is my first topic in the Amon Amarth forum.
I bought the "VS The World" cd a couple of weeks ago
and I really like it very much and i thought Johan Hegg's voice is one of the best in death metal!
Yesterday I bought the first cd "Once sent from the golden hall"
And I'm a kind of disappointed... BUT the music is great!
except Johan Hegg's voice, he's not as good as VS the world
what do you guys think?

There's nothing wrong with the vocals in OSFTGH after all it was their first work.
But agree with you that the vocals on VTW kick ass. it's one of the few death metal singer that you actually understand clearly what's he speaking.:worship:

can't wait for the new cd:headbang:

TheReaper said:
There's nothing wrong with the vocals in OSFTGH after all it was their first work.
But agree with you that the vocals on VTW kick ass. it's one of the few death metal singer that you actually understand clearly what's he speaking.:worship:

can't wait for the new cd:headbang:

I didn't said there was something wrong with the vocals
it is just like another band.. I mean, it's totally different than in the last album

I think thats what I like about Amon Amarth, every album sounds quite different, and I like all of them, but OSFTGH and VS the World are the best I think.

Well you have to also consider the fact that the overall quality of VS the World is better than OSFTGH becasue of the new studios better production. But Johan's voice is equally kick ass on both albums, dont knock the Hegg.

i noticed that on VTW the vocals are lower and more guttural than on the first three, where he was higher and more raspy. My friend once described the vocals on OSFTGH as sounding "like a viking in a windtunnel" :p

asmallchild said:
Well you have to also consider the fact that the overall quality of VS the World is better than OSFTGH becasue of the new studios better production. But Johan's voice is equally kick ass on both albums, dont knock the Hegg.
I like the production more on the OSFTGH album - Vs. the World sounds a bit "too perfect". Or something.

hoyn said:
I like the production more on the OSFTGH album - Vs. the World sounds a bit "too perfect". Or something.

I couldn't agree more. The sound on Vs the World is no doubt the best quality of all the albums thus far, but I prefer how OSFTGH sounds.

Personally, I thought the guitars and the drums didnt sound so good.
They were metal and AA and shit.... but I just didnt like the sound. The drums -> the snare mainly

snow_like_ash said:
i noticed that on VTW the vocals are lower and more guttural than on the first three, where he was higher and more raspy. My friend once described the vocals on OSFTGH as sounding "like a viking in a windtunnel" :p

The timber and tone he has on VS. is unmatched in it's warmth, the delivery very spooky.

This thread just reminded of how much vocals can make or break a band, at least for me. There's a couple of black metal bands I've picked up that have pretty good music but atrocious vocals. (Kult of Azazel in particular)

MetalBanger said:
Hi there, this is my first topic in the Amon Amarth forum.
I bought the "VS The World" cd a couple of weeks ago
and I really like it very much and i thought Johan Hegg's voice is one of the best in death metal!
Yesterday I bought the first cd "Once sent from the golden hall"
And I'm a kind of disappointed... BUT the music is great!
except Johan Hegg's voice, he's not as good as VS the world
what do you guys think?
Surely it's only natural that the sound of a band, and vocalist, would change from their first album to their latest! I'm surprised that you found this so interesting...

I think one reason his voice is so good is that it seems to come much more naturally than many other death metal singers, he doesn't have to force his voice to sound like it does. A lot of other singers fucking suck beacuse you can tell they're trying really hard, and live they're total shit.