Jon from Gaza accused of rape; Social network frenzy ensues

WAT?!?!?

EDIT: Reading up on it... yeah I'm gonna say this girl is full of shit. First of all the story itself just doesn't sound realistic, and secondly Gaza is one of the few bands where I just cannot see them doing anything of this nature. According to her story, he was chasing her car with her coat. Then she gets out, gets the coat FROM him, AND gets back to the car and all that happens is he gets his hand in the door? Come on now. Just try and piece that together. She's physically afraid of him so she stops her car, likely her RUNNING car, goes back TOWARD her rapist to get her coat? And that somehow she snags it AND manages to change directions and get back to the card without him (all six and a half feet tall of him) catching up to her? It's bullshit.

Also if you check her tumblr she says she conveniently "lost" all the text messages. Because, obviously, the first thing someone does is delete their texts after they're raped.

EDIT 2: You know what the worst part is? There's no way to prove or disprove this. Maybe Jon knows this girl (Gaza's based in Utah and she's in Idaho, but whatever), and maybe they actually spent a night together. What then? If you fuck a girl and the next day she tells everyone you raped her... where do you go from there? It's all he-said-she-said. There's no way to prove anything either way.

I've seen people nearly have their lives destroyed by false accusations and it makes my BLOOD BOIL. That's the main reason I'm going off here. You get a girl who fucks some guy and maybe she thought he "loved her", then when it turns out no suddenly "HE RAPED ME!!" It's fucking horrid. The r-word is like a sledgehammer that can crush a life instantly. Even if this story fades away, the shadows of it will remain.

They both seem fishy tbh. Notice how Jon completely avoids talking about the woman, just focusing on his morals instead. Why not flat out say: "This bitch is fucking crazy". He seems to avoid directly confrontational words as if he was scared.

It's a weird one alright. On one side we've got Gaza who are all about social causes and oppression and human rights on the other side we've got a feminist who writes for a zine about topics such as sexual assault and misogyny. I'm more inclined to side with Jon based on the tumblr story being rather wishy-washy, but who the fuck knows. I really hope this can be proven one way or the other.

They both seem fishy tbh. Notice how Jon completely avoids talking about the woman, just focusing on his morals instead. Why not flat out say: "This bitch is fucking crazy". He seems to avoid directly confrontational words as if he was scared.

His statement said, multiple times, that the accusations were false. It seems to me like he's avoiding it becoming a situation of two people hurling insults at one another.

And Satanstoenail, it can't be proven either way. That's the problem with a situation like this. Unless you go to the police right after and have bruises and seminal fluid (or drugs) that can be identified, it's pure hearsay. Think about the last time you fucked a girl. Could you prove it was consensual if she suddenly cried rape? Nope.

Also, at one point she says only 3% of rapists go to jail. How the shit do they get a stat like that? They can't possibly be saying 97% of rape trials find the guy not guilty because that's not the case, so where is that number coming from?

ben_roethlisberger_wtf_reaction.gif

And Satanstoenail, it can't be proven either way. That's the problem with a situation like this. Unless you go to the police right after and have bruises and seminal fluid (or drugs) that can be identified, it's pure hearsay. Think about the last time you fucked a girl. Could you prove it was consensual if she suddenly cried rape? Nope.

I was thinking more along the lines of whether he can prove that he wasn't actually there that night, or if someone else who knows her comes forward to tell about how she's crazy or/and has done this before, or if she can get hold of the texts he sent or get witnesses of the aftermath to come forward.

Unfortunately that's the best that can happen here. They were off from their touring schedule between late August and early October, so the time frame works. She's in Boise and they're in SLC, so that's like a 5 and a half hour drive which from the sound of her story SHE made (since she was the one "escaping" the situation). So it's not impossible for them to have been in the same place, but there's also really no way to prove it either way. For that matter, the onus is on HER to do so. He is in no way to compelled to prove where he was that night. She's claiming he fucking raped her, it's on her to prove he was there.

Not to mention her demands are a) retarded, and b) retarded. So she holds onto this for a few months, then makes it public but claims to be taking the "high road" by not going to the authorities, and demands that he write her a letter, read some "zines" (what?), and quit the band until he "deals with this shit" (what does that mean?).

Something just smells really off with this whole thing. It almost sounds personal. I mean, Jon Parker is too obscure a name for someone to just rip out of thin air and claim a rape story, but at the same time nothing about it fits together. I'm wondering if he knows the girl and things went sour between them one way or another and now she's using this as a bludgeon to try and ruin him in revenge.

Also, at one point she says only 3% of rapists go to jail. How the shit do they get a stat like that? They can't possibly be saying 97% of rape trials find the guy not guilty because that's not the case, so where is that number coming from?

100% of sex is rape, y'know, because men suck.

The last thing you want to do when accused of something like this is assault the person verbally. Doesn't look good.

Don't bother with it. They also throw out statements such as only 3% of people accused of rape are innocent. Its bullshit and has absolutely no foundation of fact, nor is it something that can be accurately quantified. If we are looking at how many people accused of rape are found guilty though, we're looking at 2 out of every 3.

"The accuser — who identifies herself as a "femme riot grrrl" on her blog and runs a 'zine distro in Boise, ID — states she has not gone to the police, but instead is now demanding Parkin publicly apologizes and steps down from Gaza. "

Dude did not rape this chick.

"In respect to the incident aforementioned on my blog; both parties have mutually agreed on a resolution for this matter. I have agreed to delete all mentions and posts about this incident from my blog, and I will refrain from posting about this incident again.

Neither of us are retracting our respective statements— instead we are deciding to not discuss it further and move on. This agreement means I will be unable to answer questions about this. I want to apologize to Gaza as a whole, my intention never was to damper the reputation or musical careers of the members, and I apologize to them. I apologize for involving the band in accusations and handling it poorly in a way that influences the members of Gaza and other well intentioned people involved with their career and music. Both of us would like people not to disparage either party and move on. "

Her latest post. She's working in fucking double time to back away from her claims now. She went from furiously accusing Jon of being a psycho rapist to suddenly saying there was a "mutual" resolution.

I've been trying very hard to be a rational feminist and whatever about this whole thing, but holy shit does that woman's tumblr page make me want to kill things. I'd also love to know how she reconciles her previous vitriol of "if you doubt any of this or question my account at all you're a fucking scumbag rape apologist" with her current apology. Obviously there's no real way of knowing what happened, but I really hope some sort of cosmic justice is dealt to both parties. Even if it turns out to be completely false, the band and Jon will always carry the burden of this, and it certainly complicates her life as well.

Yeah I made the mistake of reading further down on her tumblr page and it's just post after post about hating men with that one about "oh no misandry is just something we joke about for people who believe reverse sexism exists." Look, I'm all about women's rights and will always cry foul when injustice occurs, but "feminist grrls" who make the claim that sexism only goes in one direction make me want to throw them down a flight of stairs.

Plus, yeah, it's really fucking dodgy that after her gigantic diatribe about how she wanted Jon to write a public letter of apology and step down from the band to now APOLOGIZING to the band as though it were this unfortunate thing that happened outside of her control.

Honestly if it were me I'd take her ass to court. That's libel, and it absolutely could be shown to damage the band's image and harm their revenue.

Interesting conclusion. She's certainly done her credibility no favours at all. I kinda hope they sue her tbh. What an idiot.