JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CIRCLE II CIRCLE, MANTICORA; First North American Dates Confirmed

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
I know some were hoping this would happen...so here you go. No Chicago date yet, but I'm sure they're working on it. ;) And I guess I heard wrong about the opener...unless they still plan to add a 4th...

From Bmouth:

JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CIRCLE II CIRCLE and MANTICORA will team up for the first leg of the North American "Global Intrusions" tour this fall. This marks the first time that Jon Oliva (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, SAVATAGE, TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) and Zak Stevens (CIRCLE II CIRCLE, ex-SAVATAGE) have toured together since their days in SAVATAGE in 1999.

So far the following shows have been confirmed:

Sep. 20 - Bourbon Street - Tampa, FL (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CIRCLE II CIRCLE only)
Sep. 27 - Center Stage - Atlanta, GA - ProgPower USA IX (JON OLIVA'S PAIN only)
Sep. 29 - Pop's - St Louis, MO
Oct. 03 - I-Rock - Detroit, MI
Oct. 04 - Agora Ballroom - Cleveland, OH
Oct. 10 - Jaxx - Springfield, VA
Oct. 11 - Volume 11 - Raleigh, NC

Other dates:

Sep. 24 - The Vinyl - Atlanta, GA (Zak Stevens acoustic set featuring Mitch Stewart of CIRCLE II CIRCLE)
Sep. 25 - Center Stage - Atlanta, GA (HELLOWEEN/GAMMA RAY with special guests MANTICORA)

More shows will be announced soon.

I am not sure about the opener. I think it was originally posted that Manticora wouldnt be doing all the dates or something. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: oops that was for the Helloween/GR thing.

Another pass...

So basically, they should call this show:
"See three bands play. After which you will FINALLY get to hear what you REALLY came for, which is a couple SAVATAGE songs as the encore"

How many different ways can they milk the Savatage name? Either do a proper Savatage reunion and tour, or just leave it in the past.

They dont do it as an encore they work the Sava-songs into the set. I have no complaints about Sava-anything!!

Don't you think the Circle II Circle guy who was in Savatage will do an encore at the end of the JOP set? Who knows ? Maybe not....

I know die hard Savatage fans will take what they can get. I totally understand the demand from a fan perspective.

Though, if these bands are always going to be living in the shadow of their past, why don't they just do SAVATAGE already?

Well I can pretty much guarantee Zak (that guy from C II C) singing Sava-songs during the C II C as well as coming out for anything during JOP's normal set or encore. What I dont think is clear here is that JOP is Savatage essentially. Jon and Criss wrote a good portion of the music for Savatage and Jon writes a good portion if not all of JOP at least that was my understanding. So anything Savatage would be doing currently IS essentially what JOP is doing now. Not to mention the last two JOP albums have contained riffs that Criss wrote before his death.

Don't you think the Circle II Circle guy who was in Savatage will do an encore at the end of the JOP set? Who knows ? Maybe not....

I know die hard Savatage fans will take what they can get. I totally understand the demand from a fan perspective.

Though, if these bands are always going to be living in the shadow of their past, why don't they just do SAVATAGE already?

I have heard that there are legal/financial reasons why they don't do the Savatage reunion. So this is as close as we will probably get. I'll hit the St. Louis show.

Another pass...

So basically, they should call this show:
"See three bands play. After which you will FINALLY get to hear what you REALLY came for, which is a couple SAVATAGE songs as the encore"

How many different ways can they milk the Savatage name? Either do a proper Savatage reunion and tour, or just leave it in the past.

Actually there's a fair amount of people like myself who do enjoy the material from both bands (well minus the 2nd C2C album that was awful). Obviously being a Savatage nut and a fan of both bands I'm looking forward to this show and like mentioned before, this is probably the closest thing we'll get to any kind of Savatage reunion.

(well minus the 2nd C2C album that was awful).

Best Savatage-related album to come out in the last 10 years.

And I don't know if this is the whole reason, but it's at least partially true: Jon has put Savatage to rest because a) most of the members are too busy with TSO and their own bands, and b) anything released under the name "Savatage" inevitably has Paul O'Neill's fingers all over it, and Jon wants to keep his involvement with Paul limited to TSO. (After all, Paul effectively ruined the last Savatage disc by adding a sketchy and unnecessary "story" at the last minute.)

I will most definitely be at the Cleveland show, as it's sort of a late birthday present for me. :)

Best Savatage-related album to come out in the last 10 years.

And I don't know if this is the whole reason, but it's at least partially true: Jon has put Savatage to rest because a) most of the members are too busy with TSO and their own bands, and b) anything released under the name "Savatage" inevitably has Paul O'Neill's fingers all over it, and Jon wants to keep his involvement with Paul limited to TSO. (After all, Paul effectively ruined the last Savatage disc by adding a sketchy and unnecessary "story" at the last minute.)

I will most definitely be at the Cleveland show, as it's sort of a late birthday present for me. :)

Yeah I know the Paul sneaking a story into the last album didn't go over to well with Jon but the album did have some great songs that stood on their own. I can't really blame them for putting it to rest, there's no way I would turn down something that provides me a 6 figure salary for something that barely breaks even. I'm just happy I still get to hear some music from Oliva even if it's not in the form of Savatage.

From the PPUSA forum:

"The tour has now been confirmed for these two dates:
Tuesday, Sept 30th - Chicago @ Legends Music Cafe in Addison, IL
Thursday, Oct 2nd - Grand Rapids, MI @ The Intersection"