Jon Oliva's Pain is old-school Savatage

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Okay, this is the old school forum, right? Well what about old school Savatage?

Has anyone checked out Jon Oliva's new album 'Tage Mahal? It's a great blend of their 80s progressive metal era with the modern-day songwriting experience and production. There are no Paul O'Neil influences here, no orchestras, no choirs, no complex storylines. Just Jon and his emotions, laid out in a format that will shrivel your willie.

I wrote a short review of the album on Amazon if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...88533/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-5516398-6167350

Yeah, I have it and I love it. I wouldn't directly compare it to old Savatage (say, Sirens) but it definitely has more of a straight-forward thing going on than the latest Sava records (which I love too). And Jon's voice is in awesome shape. Of course it's still raspy as hell as in P&M, but he just nails every single note and with unparalleled emotion.

If his upcoming solo records are this good, I actually don't mind waiting a few more years for a new Savatage album. :cool:

Yeah, great album , love it !!
It's easy to compare it to old Savatage becouse of the vocals, but still, I think JOP has a different sound, much more "prog" buildup of the songs....
Going to see them in May, already have the tickets in my safe ! Hell, the guy could die 3 times before May next year :)

The songs that remind me of Sirens or Power of the Night are the two that Dr. Killdrums played on: No Escape and Nowhere to Run. But there are flashes of that early-era Savatage splashed throughout. At least I thought so. No matter though, we all agree it kicks bloody ass! That's the important thing!

Well, I'll be the shithead for this thread. I didn't really like it. I tried to listen to it a couple times and it didn't sit well with me. So there it is...

I do love Savatage and have for many years. I like Jon's voice too but 'Tage Mahal sounded boring.

Psychonaut said:
Well, I'll be the shithead for this thread. I didn't really like it. I tried to listen to it a couple times and it didn't sit well with me. So there it is...

I do love Savatage and have for many years. I like Jon's voice too but 'Tage Mahal sounded boring.

Yeah, there's always at least one apple in the barrel with a worm in it! Say, Psychonaut, have you listened to it with the right attitude adjustment?
smokin.gif
That might help!