Judas Priest concert in São Paulo, Brasil, 9th Sep.

Sep 9, 2003
São Paulo, Brasil
Visit site
São Paulo, Brasil, September 9th, 2005

It’s my time to make a review about a Priest show.
It seemed that the hours at this day were running slowler. After a regular boring work day, I drove my car to the place of the concert. Of course I got there listening to JUDAS PRIEST.
Thousands of defenders went to the Arena Skoll, in downtown São Paulo to see the concert. The Arena Skoll is an open air place and its gates were open at 3:00 PM. The car traffic to go to the place was very heavy, but it was cool to see on the main avenues of the neighbourhood, some signs saying “parking lot to the JUDAS PRIEST show, follow this way”.
Friday night, the temperature was pleasant, just a few clouds and the moon in the sky.
At 7:00 PM, Angra, a Brasilian band, started their show. Angra is a good band, and they performed a very cool show.
Around 08:15 PM Whitesnake started their show. They played their best classics and their show lasted around 55 minutes. I had never seen Whitesnake, I never was a big fan of the band, but I can tell for sure that I liked a lot their show. Coverdale’s performance was good.
Then the preparations for Priest’s stage began. The big electric eye was placed, staring at the crowd, Scott’s drums was set, everything was prepared for the climax moment of the night. The atmosphere was electric, everything was ready for the Priest!
The stage became darker and then the first chords of THE HELLION started! The crowd began to roar, the Priest concert had finally begun! ELECTRIC EYE followed and was played with the usual perfection.
METAL GODS came next. Rob’s robot movements were cool as always and again a perfect song.
Rob started to talk to us and introduced RIDING ON THE WIND! Me, and many other defenders, never had imagined to have the opportunity to see that song played live one day. Many metalheads from my age, were accustomed to see that Memphis 1982 show in VHS in the 80’s, then to see it played live, was a magic thing.
A TOUCH OF EVIL was the next song. Rob’s screams at “you’re possessing me” echoed in all areas of the place. Magnificent again.
Then the stage became darker, the big electric eye was removed and the cover of Angel Of Retribution came in its place. Then the first notes of JUDAS RISING began to be played, very low but increasing slowly and slowly until the explosion of guitars, bass and drums started. Certainly the structures of the Arena Skoll were shaked by the heaviness of that song. Rob was raised at the back of the stage, with fire on his feet, very theatrical. Another song played with excellency.
After the song Rob talked a little about the new album and introduced REVOLUTION. Mister Ian “bass wizard” Hill started the song with majesty. Lots of fans loved to see him as the main attraction on the stage for a while. Played live, REVOLUTION was much heavier and the crowd singed the chorus along with Rob, specially when he was waving the REVOLUTION flags.
Time to talk about British Steel and Rob did the classic question: “BREAKING What?” And of course we answered; “THE LAW!!!!!!”. I had seen on pictures and on videos, the 4 playing together the introduction of BREAKING THE LAW, but to see in person, Rob playing KK’s guitar, KK playing Glenn’s guitar and Glenn playing Ian’s bass was something very special.
Rob talked then about the general feeling of each metal maniac and the band gave us I'M A ROCKER. A song that hadn’t been played live for a long time, but who is still modern, very up-to-date; if you pay attention to the lyrics, you understand what I mean. I'M A ROCKER was heavier than the versions they played in 1988.
The stage became darker again and the acoustic guitars were brought. The first notes of DIAMONDS AND RUST echoed around the Arena Skoll. Rob showed live to the Brasilian metalheads, the versatility of his voice, singing with a deep emotion. The crowd exploded at the chorus “DIAMONDS, DIAMONDS AND RUST” by the command of Rob.
Rob talked again about the new album and DEAL WITH THE DEVIL started. This song live is a kick ass, very heavy, very cool, and the duel of guitar solos was amazing!
The stage became darker again and the first notes of BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH vibrated in the air. Rob sang again with a strong and deep emotion, Glenn’s solo was very inspired, each note played was perfect. KK’s solo at the end was also superb and Rob ended the song with a powerful scream.
It was time for the TURBO LOVER. Veteran defenders loved that moment, specially those who supported the Turbo album, back in 1986, and who have the opportunity to see TURBO LOVER played live onstage for the first time!
Rob talked once more about the new album and HELLRIDER was played. The songs of the new album sound extremely heavy live, and that was the case again with HELLRIDER.
The stage got darker, no word was said, but when the defenders saw Glenn and KK together at the front of the stage, everyone knew what was about to come…. VICTIM OF CHANGES. Rob’s screams were sharp and incredibly high. Glenn made his solo and spoke to us, but not with words, he spoke with notes, he was there alone with his guitar, playing and commanding the screams of the crowd, yes, no words said, but a perfect communication was set. KK’s longer solo was another highlight and another particular highlight. Glenn, Rob and KK had their highest individual moments at this song. Of course everybody singed along the verses “Once she was wonderful. Once she was fine. Once she was beautiful. Once she was mine...she was mine…….” Rob’s screams at the end of the song certainly reached the moon.
Rob talked that they were going to play an old song and remembered the Unleashed In The East album. Stand by for the…… EXCITER. Scott started the introduction of the song, beating the drums like a machine man. Another old classic song that people loved to see played live for the first time in our land.
Then another classic question of Rob. The “PAIN?????” And we answered “KILLER”. The “PAIN?????”, “KILLER”. “I said, the “PAIN?????”, “KILLER”. Scott “Machine Man” Travis started the intro of PAINKILLER which kicked ass again. Glenn’s and KK’s solos were amazing again, and so was Rob’s voice. The crowd went carzy and at the end of the song everybody was almost exhausted.
The stage turned dark and quiet. The defenders kept shouting ‘PRIEST….PRIEST…, JUDAS PRIEST…., JUDAS PRIEST….”. The roar of the Harley broke the silence of the stage and mixed with the screams of happiness of the crowd. The band returned and the encore began with HELL BENT FOR LEATHER. Fantastic.
LIVING AFTER MIDNIGHT came next and it was great to hear Rob singing “I took São Paulo 'bout one A.M, loaded, loaded”. The defenders sang the whole song along with him.
At the end of the song, all members left the stage, except Rob. He felt the incredible atmosphere and kept there smiling and listening to the people singing for the Priest. After some time looking and smiling at us, Rob started his “OW OW OW YEAH……..” commanding us like a maestro commanding a orchestra. The band returned and finished the concert with YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMIN'. The first verses “One life I'm gonna live it up. I'm takin' flight said I'll never get enough. Stand tall I'm young and kinda proud. I'm on top as long as the music's loud.” Were sung by us, while Rob was just listening then he followed with the rest of the song. Naturally he asked us to sing the chorus “YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMIN'”, the maestro conducting his orchestra again. Rob went to the stage singing and holding the Brasilian flag, then he put it in his back and was wrapt up in green, yellow and blue. At the end of the show, he kissed our flag, that was a clear message, we love your country, we love you. That’s an attitude, that only the real and only Metal god could have.
After the song, the band went to the front of the stage, looking at us, smiling all the time. They kept there for a long time. It was a magic moment, it was the time for good-bye, but it seemed that the crowd didn’t want to go and the band didn’t want to go too. Well, as all good things end, the band left the stage and we went happily back home. What a night, what a concert. It was past midnight, yeah, Living After Midnight!!!!!!
Only one thing could even had been better, if they had played 2 nights in São Paulo, like they did in September 2001.
Well, to all my Metal brothers and sisters around the world, I hope you enjoyed reading this review, as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Hi Heart Of A Lion, thanks for the review, cos tomorrow early morning i´m going to Santiago de Chile to see the Monster of Rock. I live in Concepción so it takes me almost 6 hours to get to Santiago. No matter the hours, no matter the sacrifice. the only important thing is ROCK.
I hope SAXON plays in Chile. I saw the DVD chronicles, they really kick ass. I´m a eigties big fan of SAXON. See you.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the review.

There were around 35,000 metalheads at the concert in São Paulo.

Yes, HEAVY METAL IS VERY ALIVE OVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brasil loves Heavy Metal.

LONG LIVE HEAVY METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonfire said:
Hi Heart Of A Lion, thanks for the review, cos tomorrow early morning i´m going to Santiago de Chile to see the Monster of Rock. I live in Concepción so it takes me almost 6 hours to get to Santiago. No matter the hours, no matter the sacrifice. the only important thing is ROCK.
I hope SAXON plays in Chile. I saw the DVD chronicles, they really kick ass. I´m a eigties big fan of SAXON. See you.

Man, you'll see that's worth driving almost 6 hours to see the mighty Priest! I'm sure you'll love the show.
I hope that Saxon comes to our lands in November! I'm also a big fan of Saxon from the 80's!!!!

Fantastic review there Heart of a Lion. It was that good a review I almost felt as if I was there as well!!! Just reminded me of when I see Priest back in March, they were mighty indeed, and I'd love to see them again some time soon but I suppose they won't be back in Glasgow for ages. The strange thing was I thought the concert would have been a total sell-out but the SECC was only just over half full, which was a shocker when it was 2 mindblowing bands, Priest and Scorps.

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
Fantastic review there Heart of a Lion. It was that good a review I almost felt as if I was there as well!!! Just reminded me of when I see Priest back in March, they were mighty indeed, and I'd love to see them again some time soon but I suppose they won't be back in Glasgow for ages. The strange thing was I thought the concert would have been a total sell-out but the SECC was only just over half full, which was a shocker when it was 2 mindblowing bands, Priest and Scorps.

Hey princess_of_the_night2112, that was the idea when I wrote this review, to try to make other fans to feel what I felt. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed.
I'm sure you had a great show, specially because I love the Scorpions too. I'm gonna see them next month.

The Scorps put on one hell of a show when i saw them with the priest in manchester, they literally put everything they had into it, was great to watch! They had so much energy!

...Judas Priest totally blew them away without much of a problem though :D

Hi, Heart Of A Lion, let me tell you Monster of Rock were great, i had a good time, you know a dosis of a ROCK runs for my veins. Judas Priest were just like you describe in your review, but to be honest Whitesnake were awsome too. It was a wonderful night.
I would like to share with you the shows, that i've seen in Chile, here i go:
-Monster of Rock: Kiss-Slayer-Black Sabbath '94
-Iron Maiden '96
-AC/DC '96
-Iron Maiden-Halford '01
-Iron Maiden '04
-DIO '04
-Monster of Rock: Judas Priest-Whitesnake-Rata Blanca '05
-Marty Friedman clinic tour '02-'03
Tell me about if you 've seen Saxon's show, i know that a lot of bands just go to Brasil. For instance Rush, Scorpions, Paul D' Anno, etc. See ya.

Hi Bornfire,
I’m glad to see that you had good moments in Chile too at the Monsters of Rock!
Yeah, I’m gonna share with you the shows, that I've seen in Brasil, almost all of them in São Paulo City:
- Quiet Riot ‘85
- Rock In Rio II: Judas Priest – Queensryche – Guns And Roses ’91 (that was in Rio de Janeiro, 500 Km away from São Paulo)
- Black Sabbath ‘93
- Pantera ‘94
- Fight ‘94
- Scorpions ‘94
- Monsters of Rock: Kiss - Black Sabbath '94
- Judas Priest ‘01
- Judas Priest – Whitesnake - Angra '05

lastv8 said:
now that is a great review, I saw them in Cincinnati two weeks ago. sounds alot like the show here. they still are the metal gods

Did they play Desert Plains and Worth Fighting For ? I had heard they have added those to the set.

I saw Whitesnake open for Priest Waaaaaaaay back in 1981 in Rochester, NY (with Maiden (w/ Di'Anno) as support). Great show back then (still my #1 favorite show). Good to see Halford and Coverdale on the same stage again. Plus, I always liked Coverdale in Deep Purple; nearly as good as Gillan.