Judas Priest greed tour 2011 - KK Quits!

I was planning on going to one of their last shows because I've never seen Priest live but Priest isn't really Priest without K.K..

The dude had been in the band for over 40 years. I've been on a bunch of forums and all these people are shocked that he left.
If anyone had been in a band that long, I don't understand how it could be a shock that they could leave at any moment.
Yes, it may suck for the people that wanted to see him on the tour, but a surprise he left? Hardly
Hell I couldn't imagine being in a band for longer than 10 years. I know I'd definitely want to move on and see what else the musical world offers, or just what else life would have to offer. I'd go insane having to play some songs for 30+ years.

Yeah shocked myself as well, fortunately I've seen them with Ripper or Rob.
I think he REALIZED that the last album was a piece of shit.
Being a huge Priest fan as Glenn, I think it's better leaving now than putting out another wortlhess piece of shit like Nostradamus.
Seriously priest accompanied me through a lot of years, I'm loyal to the band, but I guess it was a matter of time before the band disbanded or someone left again, now is kk maybe next year Tipton or someone else.

cheers

Yeah but you're not him and you're not 60 yet dude. :D

No I'm not however if I had already planned on doing something I would still see it through to a better end result. That's how I've been my whole life so that wouldn't change unless something was physically holding me back which doesn't seem to be the case here. You can bet any amount of money that if I had spent 2/3 of my life in a band I would not walk away from it except on a high note. Nostradamus is not a high note

I don't understand why he quit just 6 months before the end of Judas Priest... it is like running a marathon and giving up in the last 500 metres.

40 fucking years and he leaves now... It is strange.
Time for retirement and feed pigeons in a park?

I don't understand why he quit just 6 months before the end of Judas Priest... it is like running a marathon and giving up in the last 500 metres.

40 fucking years and he leaves now... It is strange.
Time for retirement and feed pigeons in a park?

As someone said before, I think he believes such a big tour is too much for him. If he wouldn't be able to give his 100% for every show in the tour, it is understandable.

What I can't understand though is why he didn't make this public before the farewell tour was even announced. Seems like a bit of a stunt to me to prevent ticket sales drying up, unless I'm off the mark.

It's not like he's any peripheral character in Priest - the dual-guitar attack is Priests' biggest charm in my opinion (especially as Rob's recent vocal performances are quite tired). For me, I wouldn't shell out $150 to see the less-than-complete package, even if it was a farewell tour.

What I can't understand though is why he didn't make this public before the farewell tour was even announced. Seems like a bit of a stunt to me to prevent ticket sales drying up, unless I'm off the mark.

Maybe he thought he would make it or tried to convince himself he would but realised he only tried to fool himself.

K.K Downing said:
“Dear friends,

It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am O.K.

There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band’s management for some time. Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans.

However I would urge you to please support the Priest as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

All my love and respect.”

That seems to be the reason.

Priest is the whole reason I got into music in the first place. I drove anyone within a 10 mile radius of me completely crazy by playing the "Screaming for Vengeance" album on infinite loop for most of the 80s.

Yeah, i can still remember hearing Screaming for Vengeance and Blizzard of Oz back in 1983 or thereabouts and just listening to them again and again on my Walkman - funny how that stuff never leaves you.