Judas Priest Jugulator recording gear

Benjawolf

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2011
CHILE
Hello everybody:

I apologize for opening this new thread but I`ve been searching here and googleing in the web and it seems that there is not much information about the gear used in the recording sessions of Jugulator album I mean preamps, cabs and mics`cause I love that guitar sound.

I love Sneap mic style and also Fredman but as far as I`m more like an old school guy and despite the fact that it wasn`t very succesful album I love it and to my ears is like "the perfect blend" between old school sound and a little more brutal sound:headbang:.

So I wonder :confused: what are the preamp used Rocktron Piranha, Mesa Boggie Triaxis, or Marshall JMP-1?, also what are the cabs Marshall 1960 with V30 or Mesa Boggie?

About the mic it sound like 57 to my ears but mixed with something else.

I own a JMP-1 and marshall 1960 with v30 and I`ve been messing around with them mainly in OD1 sound very close and like a hot rod JCM 800 even without the bass shift engaged but still with the lack of something and OD2 has definitely more gain but it gets far from Downing and Tipton tone.

So if anybody has some info to share would be great.

well Glenn always used the jmp1 live since those days and I guess even before.
Watched them many times over the years and the jmp1 was always there.
You need the marshall poweramp as well to get that tone.
don't take this with a grain of salt, maybe on the record they used something totally different.
I've seen even Glenn playing in the studio with a crate blue vodoo.

Late '80s Gear:

Hamer Phantom guitars

Hamer GT Custom guitars

Kahler 2300 C tremolos

An original cream colored Roland G-707 guitar synthesizer with Kahler Pro tremelo unit

Guild light gauge strings: .009, .009, .014, .022, .034, and .038

Small light-gauge pick

That HAS to be wrong?

Sorry for the OT

glenntipton.jpg

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Glenn has been using the Crate Blue Voodoo on all the albums from Jugulator and on. There's even videos on youtube of him playing through the Blue Voodoo and also I have the "Classic Albums: British Steel" DVD and he plays a BV120H in the videos when he shows the riffs, and K.K. Downing is playing through a Marshall JCM800 (I think). With the right settings the BV120H can sound like a JCM800, just turn down the presence to get rid of the fizz.

well Glenn always used the jmp1 live since those days and I guess even before.
Watched them many times over the years and the jmp1 was always there.
You need the marshall poweramp as well to get that tone.
don't take this with a grain of salt, maybe on the record they used something totally different.
I've seen even Glenn playing in the studio with a crate blue vodoo.

- I agree Kaomao with a Marshall 9100 Pwramp it would be a huge close step but, as they have tons of gear kind of hard get their recording tone.

found this, some things are interesting others are not... well his collaboration with samantha fox is something I didn't know really!
http://www.jugulator.net/glenn_tipton.htm

-I`ve read this some day ago and I think it`s pretty accurate ,for example I have an mxr+ pedal that I used to place before a Marshall AVT 150H in OD1 mode that I used to have to boost it and that sounded pretty "Screaming for Vengance", also in this page they mention Triaxis and the well known used by Priest Axes Rocktron Piranha.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Glenn has been using the Crate Blue Voodoo on all the albums from Jugulator and on. There's even videos on youtube of him playing through the Blue Voodoo and also I have the "Classic Albums: British Steel" DVD and he plays a BV120H in the videos when he shows the riffs, and K.K. Downing is playing through a Marshall JCM800 (I think). With the right settings the BV120H can sound like a JCM800, just turn down the presence to get rid of the fizz.

- This a great tip (about Crate Blue Voodoo) just like mentioned by Kaomao aswell I`ve seen those youtube videos (the one with beer bottle on top the Head amp) and it sound a bit more brutal than the regular Priest tone I like it!, although as far as I`ve read in some interviews these last years tour (with Halford back) Glenn uses some Engl E-580 preamp and KK Jmp-1 and for recording some Marshall plexis, ribbon mic and 57`s but nothing about the cabs wich on touring are 1960 straight with vintage 30 speakers.

Also I`ve found somewhere that Glenn in "Ripper" days plays a Digithech GSP 1101 but I don`t know if just as a multieffects unit or both preamp/multieffects unit.

I wish I was gay, and him too.

-LMFAO!!!.
I agree with you Maamar ...Hail to Glenn Tipton :worship:!!!, He`s a hell of Guitar player, composer and producer.

But Still, as much as I respect every album made by Judas Priest although I didn`t like much Nostardamus, I think they should make another last album more brutal including some tracks with Ripper Owens and produced by Mr. Andy Sneap, that IMO would be an awesome:hotjump:farewell.

After all they are one of my all time favorites bands and just like Glenn Fricker mention in some other thread (on his own words)..."Priest is my all-time favorite band & the reason I got into music"...

Thanks to you all guys for attending this thread and giving me your opinions and very helpful tips I will keep searching some info about it and post it if it`s helpful to anybody, but right now I have stop writing beacuse it is starting to "earthquakeing" again here in my City Concepcion Chile.

"All the EMG 81s on Glenn's guitars are wired with the batteries in series so they run the pickups at 18 volts. That makes them last longer and the pickups sound hotter with more edge and poke."

I think they should make another last album more brutal including some tracks with Ripper Owens and produced by Mr. Andy Sneap, that IMO would be an awesome:hotjump:farewell.

Dude... like seriously - isn't EPITAPH supposed to be just their final tour and not their final album?

"All the EMG 81s on Glenn's guitars are wired with the batteries in series so they run the pickups at 18 volts. That makes them last longer and the pickups sound hotter with more edge and poke."

Dude... like seriously - isn't EPITAPH supposed to be just their final tour and not their final album?

YeeeeaaHH, misunderstood, well I just wanted share this info about a question I`ve asked To KK on his Steel Mill and He aswered ,He is such nice guy!:

From Benjamin, Chile:

Hi There K.K. First of all I've been a fan of you guys all my life so thanks a lot for all those masterpieces all over the years. And Man you own an incredible tone that hasn't mainly changed until these days so congrats. Well I recently got a JMP-1 that I just love. The tone's mainly OD1 channel but I'm still struggling with OD2 channel to get that aggressive tone of the "Jugulator" album. However of course 80% of the tone relies on the hands of the player but still I wonder and my questions are:

-what amp/s or preamp/s did you guys use to record the "Jugulator" album and what pickups, passive or active? Any tips?
-In live albums your guitars sound very powerful but also clean, more like the JMP-1 OD1 channel with gain cranked all the way up, am I right?

Once again thanks for all those masterpieces and keep rocking our heads for all eternity ...long live Priest. Cheers and all the best.

Hi Benjamin. I believe I did use the jmp-1 on "Jugulator" and as you say OD1 cranked right up. My pick ups are the high output emg 81s (active) bridge and 85 neck. Hope this helps.
Regards K.K.