Marshall 1960

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

I need to buy a new cab. As the mesa/engl cabs are a little bit to expensive for me im thinking of buying a marshall 1960 cab as they are much more easily found on the used market.
My question for you guys are...
Should i buy with 75w celestion or with the 25w/greenbacks??
I know that 30v celestions are to prefer but no marshall cabs have those elements, right??
I know this is a never ending thread but i appreciate your answers

Cheers // Chris

1960av cab is vintage speakers. vintage g12's i think they are called and they are sonically the same as v30's but apparently louder and has a touch more bottom end (read that on celestion site)
General rule i;ve heard is if u play in standard tuning then 75's.
downtuned stuff u are better with v30's.
havent tried greenbacks myself so not sure the deal with them, rich ward uses them tho and his tone is superb.
I'm v happy with my 1960av cab, used to have standard 'a' before, wouldnt go back myself. All personal preferance tho, i think Testament - the gathering might have been 75's and that sounds amazing so :erk:

Marshall 1960AV is better than the regular 1960. Well worth the extra money. On the other hand, the Engl with V30s is not that much more expensive than the 1960AV. Aw, f**k it, buy a Harley Benton ;)

Last 2 cabs I've owned were Peavey....one came with my Transtube Supreme, and the one Im using now is a 5150 cab.
both loaded with Sheffields.

I really like the sound of these cabs.

can anyone give me pros/cons of say, Sheffields vs. Celestions?

hey guys, ive got a standard 1960a cab and i love it, really complements me peavey xxl head well. I was tempted though at putting v30s in one side of the cab, as long as i get the 16ohm speakers, this shouldnt be a problem should it? have one half v30s and the other g12 75ts?

hey guys, ive got a standard 1960a cab and i love it, really complements me peavey xxl head well. I was tempted though at putting v30s in one side of the cab, as long as i get the 16ohm speakers, this shouldnt be a problem should it? have one half v30s and the other g12 75ts?

is the lead channel of your XXL REALLY noisy?

a friend of mine has one, and its soooo fucking noisy its not funny. They are the new Transtube models, I do believe....but I think my old Transtube Supreme sounds wayyyy better than the XXL.

Last 2 cabs I've owned were Peavey....one came with my Transtube Supreme, and the one Im using now is a 5150 cab.
both loaded with Sheffields.

I really like the sound of these cabs.

can anyone give me pros/cons of say, Sheffields vs. Celestions?

We have a peavey ultra cab, a 1960a and a recto cab over here. The peavey is darker than the other two, the 1960a is pretty bright and brittle, and the recto is the most balanced of the three.
I personally don't care for the 1960a but it does really cut through and can be cool for cleaner tones. The Peavey is a great cab for the $ IMO but when put side by side with the mesa it is put to shame. YMMV.

We have a peavey ultra cab, a 1960a and a recto cab over here. The peavey is darker than the other two, the 1960a is pretty bright and brittle, and the recto is the most balanced of the three.
I personally don't care for the 1960a but it does really cut through and can be cool for cleaner tones. The Peavey is a great cab for the $ IMO but when put side by side with the mesa it is put to shame. YMMV.

hmm, thats good to hear! I will one day own a Mesa Recto cab to go with my Mark IV.