Judas Priest last night

Usurper Dan

No good can come of this
Apr 17, 2004
Chicago
www.usurper.us
First of all, $8 for a beer at the Tweeter Center is completely uncalled for.

As much as I enjoy everything Queensryche has done up to and including Empire, they kinda sucked. They sounded like 4 garage band kids with Geoff Tate fronting them. The musicianship was awful.

Priest was just plain killer. The new album is a turd, in my opinion, but they didnt delve too deeply into it. The only weak moment was the odd funeral dirge like version of 'Diamonds and Rust'. I think that they were trying to capture the feel of the original (Patsy Cline... Dolly Parton.. I cant remember)
and it sounded limp and wrong.
Everything else was amazing. Sinner, Electric Eye, Beyond the Realms of Death, Touch of Evil... it was the ultimate 'best of' live compilation.

When this tour comes through YOUR town, be there.

It was Joan Baez who they copped "Diamonds and Rust" from, actually. And I agree, I've heard their quirky slow version of the song they do now, and I don't think it works well. Apparently it went over really well with European crowds though *shrug*

I'm quite glad I don't drink because I surely could never afford the ridiculous prices they charge now for drinks. I think it costs something like $3.50 for a small soda, and $4.00 for a hot dog as well. Crazy.

Haha Larry, no shit!
I forgot to mention the merch booth from Hell.
$35 for a short sleeve t-shirt.
$45 for a girly shirt (thats LESS material, right?)
And the ultimate 'fuck you' to the fans, $30 for a baseball hat with the Judas Priest logo on it.
WTF?!?!?!?!

Im going to the Chicago Wolves AHL Calder Cup Finals game tonight where beer is a reasonable $5.50, haha!

I was at Cub Foods this past Sunday where I purchased an 18 pack of Old Style longneck bottles for $6.99. I need to buy about 60 of these... open my own concert venue, sell them, and retire!!!!!!!!

Dan this is the reason why I get so angry at clubs/bars who have bands like ours play there, and they don't want to pay us jack shit in terms of payment for our performance, and then don't even offer the band some free drinks to boot! I've owned my own business before, and I realise that it's tough staying in business and that every penny counts. But clubs make alot of money on their drinks because there's a nice profit margin there (unless their distributor sucks!) It's why I can sadly understand why many clubs don't want to bother with non-alcoholic all ages shows, because then alot of the profit for them is gone. But when I play a club that's got at least 75 to 100 people there, all buying drinks left and right, and the owner/manager tells me they can't afford to give us a measly $100 for playing, well that's inexcusable. Thankfully there's certain clubs in my area that are the total opposite, and they treat their bands well, pay them well, and even get them a hotel room! But those clubs are few and far between.

Venues like Tweeter make money hand over fist, which is why they're all owned and ran by corporations now. They know a good cash cow when they see one, heh.

Larry, did you realize that other then the ONE pitcher of water I got as we went on stage, and even though I told them I was in the band, Nitecaps still charged me $2.00 for a glass of water? It wasn't even a bottle of water, it was from the tap.

Scumbags.

You guys should play Subteranean.
The deal we had was that the club got the first $400 that came through the door, the rest was ours.
The admission was $10, and we had something like 240 people come in, so we made $2000. (we also paid Lair of the Minotaur and Nachtmystium and roadies). Subteranean also gave each band a 10 person guest list and several drink tickets.
All and all a great experience with a club owner that is not a complete twat.
Look into it, ladies.
=)

We actually played at Subterranean years ago....1999, I think? We played with Grey Skies Fallen and Long Winters Stare and Wickerman, perhaps? It's been so long I can't remember for certain. It was a cool place to play at the time, more or less. Nitecaps was okay, I had a good time at that show, but yeah I couldn't believe they were charging us for every little thing, even tap water. I'm sorry but that's just fucking ghetto. Do they care so much about making money that they risk looking like complete assholes like that? I don't get it.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
We actually played at Subterranean years ago....1999, I think? We played with Grey Skies Fallen and Long Winters Stare and Wickerman, perhaps?QUOTE]

Wasnt that show at Rileys out in Aurora the day after Milwaukee Metalfest?

circus_brimstone said:
How are they live? I've got Eulogy IV in my review queue, and will be listening to it soon. Oh, and the $8 beers were probably Bud Light weren't they. :yuk:

Thats the weird thing. When they played live it sounded like chaotic black metal. But the Eulogy cd is very atmospheric (and purposefuly underproduced, haha) almost black/doom.
Its an amazing cd. You really get lost in the songs. Im not kidding, its sort of hypnotic.

And, no. the Tweeter Center only sells Miller products... gross!

tickled: In Denmark no one gives a fuck about the age-limits, when it comes to drinking. I went to a rock/metal club to see Evergrey I saw kids no less than 16 there drinking. Although alcohol prices are quite high here :cry:

Hey Dan, We did that line up in Chicago the day after Metalfest a few times, always a failure. It was usually Grey Skies Fallen, Somnus, and LWS. That was the Reileys line up, and I think Subterranean was Wickerman. We've played so many shows around here over the years, I can't keep them straight anymore.

Was Subterranean the club that is upstairs, of the one that has the balcony above and around the stage, that John Almonte from Wickerman was dropping toilet paper on me?

Usurper Dan said:
Thats the weird thing. When they played live it sounded like chaotic black metal. But the Eulogy cd is very atmospheric (and purposefuly underproduced, haha) almost black/doom.
Its an amazing cd. You really get lost in the songs. Im not kidding, its sort of hypnotic.

And, no. the Tweeter Center only sells Miller products... gross!

I was hoping the CD would be chaotic black metal, too. :erk: I haven't listened to it yet, though. Miller Lite is the only domestic beer I actually like. :p

at Busch Stadium, they have a big beer that's about $8-9, but it's the equivalent of like 36 ounces. nothing like a bunch of blitzkrieged Cardinals fans yelling out anything that pops in their heads. and of course, you can't get away from anything AB in this town.
i thought that subterranean show went off well, with a decent crowd- the riley's one the next year did not, however. i think like 6 people paid to get in.

The first year we did the day-after-metalfest gig it was at Subterranean, 1999, with GSF, LWS, and Wickerman. That show went fairly well I think, though not a huge draw. The next year was at Rileys with LWS, GSF, and Somnus. That show unfortunately, as already mentioned, pretty much bombed. We were asked to do it again the following year, in 2001, but we decided that it would be a waste of time for the other bands (and ourselves) and so ended the day-after-metalfest gigs for us haha

I haven't been to Subterranean in a couple of years now. I've stopped through there on occasion to see friends bands and such but it's been a while. I'm not sure how successful an ND show would be there nowadays.

:headbang: :headbang: Subterranean is a cool place.
My old band played there years ago.
I know it is closed now, but have any of your bands (Usurper Dan, I am going to assume you are in Usurper) played Thurstons? It was on George, right off of Lincoln. That was my favorite place ever to play! We always got like 5 drink tickets each. They seemed to appreciate all bands that played there.

I no longer live in the city. Get your band's asses out to the suburbs!!!

yeah, the spiral staircase down into the bar sucked!
I once found a listing someone made of all shows ever there.
I never realized how many times Disturbed and Static X had played there.